MPE Arpeggiator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Davnak

MPE Arpeggiator

Post by Davnak » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:20 pm

I'm looking for help/workaround/max device to get an MPE capable MIDI Arpeggiator.

I'm specifically looking for a device that will take the pressure/poly aftertouch and convert/rout it to velocity data within the arpeggiator. I can currently accomplish this monophonically by using Expression Control and mapping the Aftertouch to Velocity; of course, this results in all the notes having the same velocity as opposed to each note having their own velocity independent of each other. I can also get a similar effect by just using the note repeat on Push 2 and adjusting the pressure I put on the pads, but then I'm not actually arpeggiating anything.

I've looked into the Max device Arpex by Mark Towers, but it seems like the Pressure and Slide functions are locked to note length and octave, while the velocity is only controlled by the sequencer or original velocity data.

TLDR: I'm trying to find an Arpeggiator that polyphonically adjusts the velocity of each note based on the live pressure data of each note.

Does anyone now of a workaround or Max Device that does this?

yur2die4

Re: MPE Arpeggiator

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:09 am

I think some instrument plugins out there have arps built in that do this, but I’m not familiar with midi effects that do this, though it wouldn’t surprise me if they existed, if not, there should be a marker for it given that this is currently in style.