Intel is shutting down NUC

Discuss Push with other users.
Wyrmberg

Intel is shutting down NUC

Post by Wyrmberg » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 pm

In their journey to fix their company, Intel announced, that they will shut down NUC.
How will this affect Push3? Are their enough boards available to produce the P3? With no new developed (and distributed) compute module, the idea of „you can upgrade the push3 with new hardware instead of buying a new one“ seems to fail before it really started :(

dcjams

Re: Intel is shutting down NUC

Post by dcjams » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:37 pm

Do you have a source?

I think they're just discontinuing various implementations (eg the mini-pcs they made) and generations of the platform (as happens with all CPUs), not the platform altogether.

Or handing it on. From their statement:

"We have decided to stop direct investment in the Next Unit of Compute (NUC) Business and pivot our strategy to enable our ecosystem partners to continue NUC innovation and growth."

But sure, it does beg the question how will this effect Push 3

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:28 pm

:cry:

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:00 pm

I think it’s just the PCs that they stick their ‘nuc’ chips in.

The definition seems a bit vague.

From the looks of the pics of the Push internals, the ‘computer’ is like a system on a chip thingy.

I dunno, I could be wrong

https://www.engadget.com/intel-will-sto ... 27920.html

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:04 pm

Inside the Push 3 there is an Intel NUC Element, so yes it is part of the NUC ecosystem, not sure how this announcement from Intel will affect upgradeability.. Regardless I think it's a sad news that goes beyond the Push 3..

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:11 pm

The statement from Intel is giving us some hope that their partners will continue innovating the NUC ecosystem, we'll see...
Last edited by Audivit on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:48 pm

Audivit wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:04 pm
Inside the Push 3 there is an Intel NUC Element, so yes it is part of the NUC ecosystem, not sure how this announcement from Intel will affect upgradeability.. Regardless I think it's a sad news that goes beyond the Push 3..
For sure. Those little PCs are cool

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:51 pm

However the Push 3 Standalone ships with a pretty outdated 11th Gen NUC Element, and since we are due to release of the 13th (and last) generation of NUCs there is still a lot of room for upgradability on the Push 3, that is the good news.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:32 pm

This falls on the same announcement for Intel ARC. They are going to stop producing them as a first party product and leave it to third parties to continue making them.

The future of push 3 upgrade Ulithi will come down to if third parties develop their SOC’s using the same pinout as the intel first party SOC’s, or if they end up all going with their own.

vertgrall

Post by vertgrall » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:21 am

However 3 years from now. This may affect price in a bad way. Ableton may need to source as many of these as they can get. Everyone is going ARM.
I don't understand why ableton went the route they did. But it is what is. Now everyone that bought p3 standalone has deprecated technology on their brand new piece of gear. Smfh.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am

THIS IS A JOKE!

Surprised no one saw the announcement from Ableton about this situation earlier today:

"Unfortunately due to the recent announcement by Intel about discontinuing their NUC chips, we will no longer be able to sell Push 3 Standalone units. As such, starting tomorrow at 5:40AM we will stop accepting orders for these units. All customers who have pre-ordered a Push 3 Standalone, will instead be shipped a special edition Push 2 unit painted in a rare "Irate Red" color scheme. Each special edition Push 2 will come with 4 AA batteries that you can use in any device you want.

We're sorry for this inconvenience, and we can't wait to show you what we have in store for Push 4. It's our most magical device ever."

THIS IS A JOKE!

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:50 am

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am
will instead be shipped a special edition Push 2 unit painted in a rare "Irate Red" color scheme
lmao

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 am

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am
Surprised no one saw the announcement from Ableton about this situation earlier today:

"Unfortunately due to the recent announcement by Intel about discontinuing their NUC chips, we will no longer be able to sell Push 3 Standalone units. As such, starting tomorrow at 5:40AM we will stop accepting orders for these units. All customers who have pre-ordered a Push 3 Standalone, will instead be shipped a special edition Push 2 unit painted in a rare "Irate Red" color scheme. Each special edition Push 2 will come with 4 AA batteries that you can use in any device you want.

We're sorry for this inconvenience, and we can't wait to show you what we have in store for Push 4. It's our most magical device ever."
Can you provide a link to the announcement?

Cant tell if this is a joke or note since you are an Ableton employee.
Last edited by nori.lam on Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fin Lux

Post by Fin Lux » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:15 am

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/n ... te%20sein.

"Intel has just announced that they will not develop another NUC generation and that there will therefore not be another Next Unit of Compute (NUC). The NUC 13 generation with Raptor Lake and Alder Lake processors will thus be the last."

So, I hope there will be an official Statement from Ableton. Pepole want to invest into an ongoing plattform, not an 1900€-use-once-Push. :oops:

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:50 am

Push 3 currently ships with a Gen 11th NUC Element i3-1115G4 which is has 2 cores with max frequency of 4.2Ghz, 6Mb of cache and 8 gb of LPDDR4 RAM.

Gen 13th i7-1365U has 10 cores with max frequency of 5.2Ghz, 12Mb of cache and up to 32Gb of LPDDR5 RAM. (there is no msrp yet for this).

So there is plenty of room of improvement on Push 3 and few years from now these modules might become more accessible in regard to price, right now if you want a Gen 12th i7 with 10 cores you can expect to pay 1k or more!

But even with this much room of improvement it's still sad to know that's the max spec NUC there will ever be..