Intel is shutting down NUC

Discuss Push with other users.
subnoize

Re: Intel is shutting down NUC

Post by subnoize » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:49 am

elbows wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:58 pm
It is not all voodoo to me. The exact extent of my knowledge varies depending on exactly what area of detail we are getting into.
I was trying to be polite.

You are very ignorant of computing to be blunt about it.

If that offends you then one day when you know more than you do today you will want to delete everything you just wrote.
elbows wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:58 pm
Well sort of, I suppose it depends quite how much of the internals you consider to be the SBC. Many aspects of the hardware connect to the internal computer side using USB, which is indeed quite predictable and manageable, these are indeed peripheral aspects.
Its not "well sort of" it is USB, Full Stop.

I think you are a troll. Nobody is this ignorant of computers in 2023.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:22 am

Since I'm not feeling like locking this thread, I'd rather delete the offending posts if they don't stop... and delete their author.
So please, don't screw it up, other people here don't deserve to pay for one person's bad behaviour.
Ableton Forum Moderator

elbows

Post by elbows » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:07 pm

Cheers for the timely and polite reminder previous to the latest page of this thread. I think I've exhausted everything I could possibly say on this topic unless there are any fresh developments anyway, and have no interest in persisting with the personal angles.

elbows

Post by elbows » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:31 pm

cdm got some quotes from Abletons Head of Hardware:

https://cdm.link/2023/09/future-of-nuc- ... tandalone/

They speak positively about ASUS and the future potential, about ASUS listening to Ableton, and the pain of not being able to speak about this stuff to Push 3 users until Intel & ASUS got their announcements made. The bottom line in terms of what they are prepared to say at this stage boils down to:
As it looks now, we will continue with our current processor for the foreseeable future, but we’re testing more powerful processors for possible upgrade potential down the line. This involves heat and power management, and requires work under the hood of each different Compute Element revision. After what we’ve seen with the supply chain chaos during COVID, I wouldn’t make any guarantee about any part availability ever again. But I hold onto my dream of a product that has an extended lifespan, with upgradeable processors in the future.

login

Post by login » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:16 pm

Told ya, for the doomers that were talking about no one else taking the NUC forward or that ableton wouldn't get in the door of Asus.

People just love to be dramatic.

Quenepas

Post by Quenepas » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:54 pm

Hi. Ableton needs to make an official statement regarding this situation even more so when the upgrade kits are finally available with tutorial video and everything. Thing is the only available configuration is an 11gen Intel processor and the latest is a 13gen that could be an i7/i9 however with current passive cooling and Intel high TDP, thermal throttling will be an issue unless you add some exotic cooling solution like an AirJet or something that can fit in the Push chassis.

While Asus has officially taken upon producing NUCs, some official word would be great given Intel future roadmap (arrow lake, lunar lake, etc), assumed future support of the NUC formfactor and Push 3 lifecycle. If Push 2 has been around 8 years with no end of support in sight, it is not farfetched to expect a 10+ year support for Push 3 given its upgradeability. Remember, a decade in computer technology is an eternity while musicians expect to keep instruments forever.

I'm pretty plenty sure future plans for Push 3 at some point will include some form of 3rd party VSTs version but ofc, this takes the kind of processing power the actual solution isnt able to deliver in an acceptable manner. While the current solution is enough for out-of-box vanilla Live Push version, it's 'future proofness' will be hindered be it for extended plugin support, future Live versions or whatever is in the horizon for music production technology (AI AI AI!).

I've been investigating quiet a lot getting a Push 3 but I feel it's core value is not for what it is now but for what it could be in the future in particular standalone and the NUC situation really makes me second guess about the project future.

elbows

Post by elbows » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:25 pm

I dont assume they are certain to add 3rd party VST support, there are a number of reasons they might not. Including perceptions, if such things tempt more users to run too much heavy stuff taht negatively affects their impression of how powerful the Push 3 is. There are other considerations too, including but not limited to user interface considerations and stability considerations, and any plugin authorisation stuff.

Personally if I were Ableton I would prioritise everything else currently missing from the Push 3 first. Then, if I wanted to broaden the scope of things, I would want to do some kind of programme fro 3rd party developers that let their plugins be officially ported and approved for use on the standalone Push 3. This process can also ensure that really heavy plugins dont get through and muddy the waters or damage perceptions.

I happily bought the Push 3 standalone without assuming that they would add broader VST support, and so if it never happens I wont complain.

As for an official statement, although I was one of the people that contributed to this thread in the past, I dont think there is any need to make a statement at this stage. If they did make one, there would be limits to what they could say and I seriously douvbt it would go beyond what they already told CDM in a piece quite some time ago. The time to announce something is far more likely to be once they are actually ready to share the news that a new, more powerful module is actually going to be available for sure. Even if they were happy to share that news with us well in advance of it becoming available, that time wont come until they are able to promise something on that front with a much higher degree of certainty than they were able to when talking to CDM.