Intel is shutting down NUC

Discuss Push with other users.
login

Re: Intel is shutting down NUC

Post by login » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 am

People concerned as if no one can make the computer element board but intel, and that's is simply bollocks. Gigabyte, MSI, AS Rock or others can take of the task.

timerickson

Post by timerickson » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:01 am

Good news, Intel is working directly with ASUS to take over some or all development of their NUC boards.

Report here: https://wccftech.com/intel-selects-asus ... -mini-pcs/

My fear was, and still partially is, that ASUS could simply decide to not produce Compute Elements and only focus on the much more popular 4x4 NUC boards used in offices, etc.

vertgrall

Post by vertgrall » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:05 am

login wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 am
People concerned as if no one can make the computer element board but intel, and that's is simply bollocks. Gigabyte, MSI, AS Rock or others can take of the task.
We will see.

elbows

Post by elbows » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:45 am

login wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 am
Its more a question of whether they actually will, not whether they theoretically can.

Its folly to express excessive confidence about these matters at this stage.

More broadly, even without this Intel news there has always been some uncertainty about the suitability of modules other than the one Ableton initially chose, when it comes to thermal and power requirements of other modules compared to the one Ableton initially deemed suitable for the Push 3.

elbows

Post by elbows » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:50 am

timerickson wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:01 am
Good news, Intel is working directly with ASUS to take over some or all development of their NUC boards.

Report here: https://wccftech.com/intel-selects-asus ... -mini-pcs/

My fear was, and still partially is, that ASUS could simply decide to not produce Compute Elements and only focus on the much more popular 4x4 NUC boards used in offices, etc.
Yes, and our ability to predict the future is hampered by a total lack of focus on Compute Element modules in this sort of press coverage and press releases. If only relying on press coverage so far, people would be hard pressed to know that Compute Elements even existed in the first place.

Farley

Post by Farley » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Firstly, I don't envy Ableton in this situation. Aside from (well publicised and ironable) glitches they have put their heart and soul into an awesome product ... just to find out Intel is going to pull the rug.

When it comes to that whole ARM discussion: Apple was smart in the M1 chips and though it is ARM, it starts to "behave like Intel" when anything with Rosetta is running in the OS. (source: https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/13 ... 3402547201) That's the reason Ableton can't take their Intel-code and just "run it on a Snapdragon". They might be able to re-compile the whole thing to ARM version of Linux, but I bet it won't be the same code that's already compiled for native use on Apple computers. M1 is ARM based, yes, but the level Apple customized the whole thing is probably way too drastic. And Apple is Apple. They won't share.

When it comes to x86 computer modules ... that is interesting. If this happened 10 years back, I would be damn right sure that somebody will pick development of this in an instance. I remember from working at broadcast that every other replay machine, recording server, audio console ... they were all full of custom FPGAs and all had a tiny board with a tiny x86 computer on it. Mostly for user interface and control. Broadcast has gone off that paradigm lately, though, and now everthing is software-defined, running on off the shelf components. Rackmounted servers everywhere. So especially from this field the demand for small NUC systems was getting weaker for some time. I have no clue how it is in other fields, though. Like in industrial automation, research, military, health devices, smart homes and what not. Maybe someone else can chime in about some predictions about NUC demands from eslewhere? :|

I think if there is enough demand, somebody will design that stuff acording to the original specs. Also I would not be surprised if Intel just sold the blueprints to some chinese OEM. They did that with that laptop they designed the other day. QC7. They sold it to Tongfang who manufactured them and sold them as XMG Fusion 15 in Europe, MAG15 nad Vaper 15 in US. (Edit: I just described what's happening with ASUS, haven't I?)

I believe (or ... hope?) there is now a LOT of phonecalls happening between Ableton, Intel and perhaps other parties able to manufacture these tiny boards. If there is a demand, someone will make them, but Ableton needs to chime in.

I still love my P3S unit ... but won't lie, I will keep my eyes on the development of this. Any official (non-joke) word from Ableton would be re-affirming. It wasn't a cheap toy. It would be nice to know that we're safe in terms of spare parts.
Evolved into "noctucat".
https://www.noctucat.com

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:19 pm

elbows wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:45 am
More broadly, even without this Intel news there has always been some uncertainty about the suitability of modules other than the one Ableton initially chose, when it comes to thermal and power requirements of other modules compared to the one Ableton initially deemed suitable for the Push 3.
AFAIK the NUC Element modules all share the same TDP except for the "extreme" line (which are also bigger and structurally different)..
Farley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:29 pm
I still love my P3S unit ... but won't lie, I will keep my eyes on the development of this. Any official (non-joke) word from Ableton would be re-affirming. It wasn't a cheap toy. It would be nice to know that we're safe in terms of spare parts.
Well said, I totally agree.

drez

Post by drez » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:57 pm

I am so thankful for all of you worrying about this so I don't have to. Such a relief. Good luck out there. Keep making a difference because those Ableton guys would not be able to figure this out without you. I am confident you will change the course of the Push 3 forever with your concern! <pray hands emoji>
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:45 pm

Let’s keep things friendly please. No reason people can’t have different opinions about it.

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:03 pm

drez wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:57 pm
I am so thankful for all of you worrying about this so I don't have to. Such a relief. Good luck out there. Keep making a difference because those Ableton guys would not be able to figure this out without you. I am confident you will change the course of the Push 3 forever with your concern! <pray hands emoji>
You're welcome!

alexandernacho

Post by alexandernacho » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:00 pm

I honestly don't know what's taking Ableton so long to formulate a statement regarding this.. I was about to order a P3 (my first one, yay!) but this makes me hesitate. I still very much want one and I am on the positive side that this will get resolved eventually, but the lack of communication is scary.

If there would be no impact, why wouldn't they have released a statement by now?

sinik

Post by sinik » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm

alexandernacho wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:00 pm
I honestly don't know what's taking Ableton so long to formulate a statement regarding this.. I was about to order a P3 (my first one, yay!) but this makes me hesitate. I still very much want one and I am on the positive side that this will get resolved eventually, but the lack of communication is scary.

If there would be no impact, why wouldn't they have released a statement by now?
release a statement just for you to calm down?
buy it for what it is right now, or just dont!

vertgrall

Post by vertgrall » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm

sinik wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm
alexandernacho wrote:

No. It's called consumer confidence.
I'm confused to why you take such a sarcastic position. What is being asked here completely is reasonable. Most companies make statements about such issues. Why do you defend a company that does not pay you? Does not even know you?

The push 3 standalone is a expensive piece of gear
We should have some transparency into what's going on.

login

Post by login » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:42 pm

vertgrall wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm
sinik wrote:
alexandernacho wrote:

I'm confused to why you take such a sarcastic position. What is being asked here completely is reasonable. Most companies make statements about such issues. Why do you defend a company that does not pay you? Does not even know you?

How exactly this affects you?

login

Post by login » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:56 pm

vertgrall wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm
sinik wrote:
alexandernacho wrote:

BTW that is not consumer confidence, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_confidence