M4L Real-Time Formant Shifting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ben_zakharenko

M4L Real-Time Formant Shifting?

Post by ben_zakharenko » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:00 am

Hi there,

Just had a quick question about real-time pitch/formant shifting in Live. In my live performances, I often use a lot of independent pitch and formant processing on my microphone to get certain vocal effects--currently, that's being achieved with Waves Vocal Bender. However I recently made a purchase of a standalone Push 3 with hopes to move my live performances over to that, and so far this seems to be the only functionality I can't find a native or M4L substitute for.

I've messed around with formant shifting with Vocoder and using MIDI key input into Spectral Resonator, and the results were interesting but not what I'm looking for. Shifter doesn't provide (to my knowledge at least) the ability to preserve or independently adjust formants when pitch shifting. I also did some research to see if this has been implemented in M4L, but to my surprise I can't find a single device that implements this kind of processing. I did run across some C74 forums mentioning certain externals people have made, but all the links were deprecated (plus to the extent of my knowledge, max externals cannot run on Push 3 or am I wrong about that?) I even saw a post where someone considering implementing PSOLA with Gen~ before quickly being discouraged from doing so by some others.

Basically I'm just wondering, is there a specific reason why this hasn't been implemented in a published M4L device before? And are there any other solutions with built in devices in Live I might be able to give a try?

Thanks so much!

Ben

vjfranzk

Re: M4L Real-Time Formant Shifting?

Post by vjfranzk » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:00 am

I would like to know the answer to this also!

I use machines like Roland VT4, TC Helicon, Zoom V3 for voice FX in live performance,

but I would love to eliminate any external boxes when performing with Push 3,

and it could hypothetically be done with a Max 4 Live device, possibly with much MORE parameters than any of these
VjFranzK - Audio / Visual Entertainment, News and Reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/vjfranzk - My YouTube Channel.
Subscribe! for weekly amusement.

Video Reviewer for:

NoiseBug.net Analog Synths and More! in LA, USA

SonicState.com - Electronic Music News in the UK

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:29 pm

Would be nice. You can get a similar effect with Complex Pro Warping algorithm but I dont think it is exactly the same thing. Autotune does this.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:58 pm

Can't remember the name of the devices from the top of my head, but there's a few ones in the IRCAMAX 1&2 Packs.
Ableton Forum Moderator