Install Ableton 11 App to Drive other than C?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vjfranzk

Install Ableton 11 App to Drive other than C?

Post by vjfranzk » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:51 am

So, I have live 11 suite. (Not upgraded to the current version which is compatible with Push 3)
I just bought Push 3! ...instead of a new PC.
That means I will have to use this old PC and it's small C drive a while longer.

It seems there's not enough space on the C drive to upgrade Live to the current 11.

The installer is not giving me the option to install on another drive. (Why is that not an option?)
Is there a way to do it somehow?

I'm sorry if this question sounds silly, I used to be a Mac user where things seemed easier.

"Move other things off the C drive" is not a helpful answer, I've already done it as much as seems possible.
VjFranzK - Audio / Visual Entertainment, News and Reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/vjfranzk - My YouTube Channel.
Subscribe! for weekly amusement.

Video Reviewer for:

NoiseBug.net Analog Synths and More! in LA, USA

SonicState.com - Electronic Music News in the UK

ark

Re: Install Ableton 11 App to Drive other than C?

Post by ark » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:23 pm

Three observations:

1) In general, when you install Live, my experience is that it asks where to install it. Are you not seeing that?

2) The Live installation goes by default into C:\ProgramData, because that folder has some weird system-defined properties that are necessary to make auto-updating possible. A Live installation takes less than 5 GB. Do you really have that little space available?

3) If you look in C:\ProgramData\Ableton, you may have some old installations lying around. You can make more space available by uninstalling those.

vjfranzk

Re: Install Ableton 11 App to Drive other than C?

Post by vjfranzk » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:55 am

Okay, this seems to be the answer: Since Live 11 EXE was installed on the C Drive, (Even though I had previously moved my sound libraries to the D drive)
The installer assumed that I wanted to Upgrade this installation to the newest version,
but it could not do that because there wasn't enough space on the drive now. (Yes, I have a lot of apps installed, they all want their share.)

It did not offer me the option of installing to other drives. (I think that it should offer this! No matter what the existing situation. It also might say: "Live 11.x is installed on drive X currently. Do you wish to Upgrade, Install, or Uninstall?" )

So I uninstalled Live 11 from the C drive, (which included a PC restart to finish) and then gave it another PC Restart.

I then ran the Installer again - This time it DID offer me the opportunity to select the install location! Which I set as a folder on another drive.

Live 11 is working, and I'm glad it remembered my VST and other plug ins also!

I will wireless the Push 3 to it tonight, looking forward to that.
VjFranzK - Audio / Visual Entertainment, News and Reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/vjfranzk - My YouTube Channel.
Subscribe! for weekly amusement.

Video Reviewer for:

NoiseBug.net Analog Synths and More! in LA, USA

SonicState.com - Electronic Music News in the UK