Follow Actions not working correctly

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fahl

Follow Actions not working correctly

Post by fahl » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:47 pm

I have Follow Action "Next" set on audio clips, but when the clip ends it just stops. I've found out that if I interact with the clip in some way while it's playing (fx toggle the loop switch or scrub forward/backward) then the follow action will work correctly, but this is not a viable solution for me.

Another problem I've experienced is errors with Follow Action when looping within the clip. I've set the follow action to linked and the loop multiplier to 100x, but sometimes the clip skips to the next clip when reaching the end of the loop. I've set up some ClyphX commands that set the loop to start where the playhead is in the playing clip... Maybe this is a reason??

S4racen

Re: Follow Actions not working correctly

Post by S4racen » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:28 am

fahl wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:47 pm
I have Follow Action "Next" set on audio clips, but when the clip ends it just stops. I've found out that if I interact with the clip in some way while it's playing (fx toggle the loop switch or scrub forward/backward) then the follow action will work correctly, but this is not a viable solution for me.
Yes that's how follow actions work.

[edit] You're right, this is not how they work, I misread the negative in your statement [/edit]

Cheers
D
Last edited by S4racen on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fahl

Post by fahl » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:48 pm

I have Follow Action "Next" set on audio clips, but when the clip ends it just stops
Pretty sure this isn't how follow actions are supposed to work...

Cheers
I

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:53 pm

Is the 'Next' action set to 100% ? If it's not, it can use the second action (defaults 'No Action') which won't play again.

fahl

Post by fahl » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:56 pm

Yup it's set to 100%

fahl

Post by fahl » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:58 pm

The Follow Actions work perfectly every time I interact with the clip (like activating and de-activating the loop), but whenever the clip is played and left alone it stops playback (even though the next clip is blinking during playback)

ChromoSone

Post by ChromoSone » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:31 pm

Same problem here, Live 11.3.
Scene follow launches will sometimes be very stubbornly ignoring the settings. When it's set to Next in some cases it would just stop, in other cases it would start back at the first scene. But persistenly one of either problems. I could only sometimes work around using Jump and manually selecting the following scene. Perhaps only in one of these two cases.

I've tried
- inserting a clean scene after and before the scene that has the Follow Action on it.
- turning off and on the follow action
- setting it to "no action" and then changing it back
This did not help.

What did on occasion help was restarting Live.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:41 pm

ChromoSone wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:31 pm
- inserting a clean scene after and before the scene that has the Follow Action on it.
With Follow Actions, an empty clip clot/scene is used as an "actions separator", so in order for a follow action to e.g go to next clip, the next clip should be in the next clip slot below, i.e not separated by an empty clip slot.
Ableton Forum Moderator