Interference affecting MPE

Discuss Push with other users.
DoubleWah

Interference affecting MPE

Post by DoubleWah » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:24 pm

I'm finding that whenever I have my modular switched on that I am unable to use MPE on my Push 3, even if it's not connected to anything and running off battery. As long as the Push is within about a meter of the modular synth that the MPE pads glitch out and can't be used reliably. Everything is fine if I use Poly or Mono aftertouch. As soon as I switch the modular off everything is fine. It seems like some EM interference is affecting how the pads work, which is frustrating.

The modular doesn't have any noise on its outputs so I'm surprised that there's enough interference to affect the Push in this way. Is anyone else finding a similar problem? I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue or something that could be tweaked in a software update. (The problem persists no matter what the Push settings are, and also is there even if I do a factory reset). Does anyone with better knowledge of these things know if some kind of mains conditioner would help? Or any other bright ideas on how to fix this? (I've raised a support ticket about this - but wondered if it is a widespread problem...)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Interference affecting MPE

Post by [jur] » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:31 am

DoubleWah wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:24 pm
running off battery
Is it also happening when Push is powered by the PSU?
Ableton Forum Moderator

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:22 am

Yes, unfortunately it happens whether Push is plugged in or on battery.

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:57 pm

I’ve solved my problem… I ended up swapping the power brick for the modular synth for one that was rated for a slightly higher maximum current and the problem went away. I guess that’s a success, but it does make me a little wary of relying on MPE in a live context where the EM interference will be out of my control!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:58 pm

Glad to hear that you solved your issue.
This is very interesting info so it'd be great if you could report this to Support.
Ableton Forum Moderator

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:52 pm

I’ve updated my support ticket and closed the issue. Interested to see if it’s something anyone else has experienced.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:12 pm

Thx!
Ableton Forum Moderator