a suggestion for better controller integration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grrrz

a suggestion for better controller integration

Post by grrrz » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:51 pm

It's a general comment but I'm trying to find a good solution for plugin/synths control (mostly vsts); like I would like to be able if the number of knobs/buttons allow to take full control of a vst synth. The push does it beautifully with native live instruments (I like the fact it uses the row of buttons for switchable parameters); but it's not possible with vsts (you can only use the 8 pots from what I understand; and you can't really organize them either unless 3rd party application). Generally there are very few remote controllers for which half of functions are completely gimmicky (who uses non motorized faders or pots for volumes when your goal is to not screw up your whole mix anyway?). So I was wondering how the situation could get better; like how could we have a better controller integration that would really be able to map a plugin.
Ideally I think there should be a full live integration of this aspect; like an advanced version of configure / macros that include switches and blank placeholders, and controllers should include one or several rows of buttons on top of pots that are part of device control. If you add premium controllers with screen indicating parameters name you could really have a very flexible and top notch control scheme. I know this is not like a fundamental problem; but while there have been progress; I'm surprised that in 2023 we don't have more fully integrated solution like the push, and if you make it a live functionnality it could make it easier for manufacturers. I'm probably getting the novation sl mk3 which allows you to create full custom templates for vsts with parameter naming; but that's still a clunky solution compared to a full live integration (and let's not forget that midi parameters inside a plugin and automated parameters inside live are still two different things and that's incredibly clunky).
(well do what you will with this rant)

mercury007

Re: a suggestion for better controller integration

Post by mercury007 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:43 pm

I really do not understand why this is not a solved issue either. I ended up getting a Novation SL MK3 but the system for setting up templates is clunky. That said, this is the only method I have used that allows me to label things with clear text.