Editing continuous controllers for random results

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stone Guest

Editing continuous controllers for random results

Post by Stone Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:48 am

Hi folks

I'm looking for a way to edit CC data that gives me 'random' values within a range I specify.

For example I have a 16th note pattern that would be a little more interesting or lively if each note had a slightly different cutoff frequency. I can manually place a frequency cutoff CC event in front of each note but manually entering the variations in value is very tedious.

It would be great to be able to simply set up conditions such as 'change each CC to a value between X and Y' that I could apply to entire clips and introduce as much variation as I choose.

Cubase used to have this feature, and it was called 'logical editor'. It was helpful and quite powerful.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

lincolnkid

Re: Editing continuous controllers for random results

Post by lincolnkid » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:11 am

You could use the Expression Control midi effect, set midi in to random, and map it to cutoff (you can set ranges etc). That way it would change the cutoff for every note.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:40 pm

Not sure if this is maybe a situation where you would use an LFO? Ideally one built into the synth you’re using. Set it to restart on retrigger (whenever a note is pressed). Sample and hold. And have it be a really really slow LFO.

From there, you can assign a midi know to the LFO instead of trying to find a way to make the midi itself be randomized.

Stone Guest

Post by Stone Guest » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:32 am

Thanks LK - that's exactly what I needed!
Last edited by Stone Guest on Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stone Guest

Post by Stone Guest » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:33 am

Thanks - yes I tried the LFO on the actual unit (it's a Roland SH-01A) but it's just not quite right :?