CV instrument with Push standalone

Discuss Push with other users.
DoubleWah

CV instrument with Push standalone

Post by DoubleWah » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:05 pm

Has anyone figured out how to get CV instrument to work with push standalone? I’ve been trying to get it to work with the pedal jack outputs and it sort of does but the calibration is waaaaay off. You can’t run the calibration from the Push but you can in controller mode, which works ok. I figured I could run the calibration that way and then transfer over a preset or set to the standalone and all would be well, but nope.

Is this just broken for now? I need to know before I splash out on ADAT gear…

Cheers!

goldenechos

Re: CV instrument with Push standalone

Post by goldenechos » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:59 pm

I've had the same experience. My VCOs will calibrate good using Live 11.3.10, CV Tools and the Expert Sleepers ES-8, but when I try to use the PUSH 3 CV Outs, I get a range of F# 8 to F# 8!

I have opened a technical support ticket for the issue.

My guess is that the CV Tools device has to be updated to work with the unipolar and lower resolution of the PUSH 3 CV Outs.

I will post back if I get any good info.

Tony

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:19 pm

Interesting! So can you calibrate the ES-8 for CV instrument when in controller mode and have that carry over to standalone as well?

Fwiw, I did manage to get the pedal outs on Push 3 to work when in controller mode. It's just that the calibration failed to carry over to standalone.

goldenechos

Post by goldenechos » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:41 pm

Ah OK, so you got it to work in controller mode but not standalone, that is very strange.

I cannot get it to work in controller mode or standalone using the CV Outs on the PUSH 3 (yes I set them to be CV Outs and not pedal inputs).

I have not tried to use the ES8 in standalone, but I will try that today.

Could you tell me your settings to get PUSH 3 CV Outs to work in controller mode? DId you have to do anything special?

T

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:44 pm

It’s very weird… I can get CV instrument calibration to work for an ES-3 in controller mode, following the on screen instructions in the instrument. But the calibration doesn’t seem to save in the set when I transfer it to the push in standalone mode. But now I can’t seem to get CV instrument to work for the pedal outs properly in controller mode (whereas I did once before!).

However, I now noticed that there are push 3-specific presets in the library for CV instrument and these *do* work straight out of the box for the pedal jacks in standalone mode! So, that’s good… (if a little baffling)

goldenechos

Post by goldenechos » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:44 pm

I am able to load an calibrated CV Tools device connected to ES-8 in a project in PUSH 3 standalone mode. Tuning seems good.

I still have not gotten a successful calibration using PUSH CV Outs. I get a range of F#8 to F#8 usually. Total Fail. Same exact set up except ES-8 instead of PUSH 3 CV Outs, I get great calibration across at least 8 octaves.

T

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:01 pm

goldenechos wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:44 pm
I still have not gotten a successful calibration using PUSH CV Outs. I get a range of F#8 to F#8 usually. Total Fail. Same exact set up except ES-8 instead of PUSH 3 CV Outs, I get great calibration across at least 8 octaves.
That is with the latest CV Tools pack version, right? The one with dedicated P3 presets.
If so, then please report to Support
Ableton Forum Moderator

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:12 am

goldenechos wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:44 pm
I am able to load a calibrated CV Tools device connected to ES-8 in a project in PUSH 3 standalone mode. Tuning seems good.
That’s good to hear - worth persevering for me then! Between us we have the ES-8 and push CV outs working ;-) Can I just double check the procedure you follow? You run the calibration with the push in controller mode and then save a live set with the device in it and then traverse this set to standalone? Or do you also need to save a preset for the cv instrument first?

Thanks!