Just lots of frustration with Push 3 (tethered) - Push detects Live (I think) but just hangs.

Discuss Push with other users.
apocatiel

Just lots of frustration with Push 3 (tethered) - Push detects Live (I think) but just hangs.

Post by apocatiel » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:15 pm

When you connect the tethered Push 3, and turn it on for the first time, and open Live, what exactly is supposed to happen?

When I first turned on my Push 3, I noticed an OS message briefly notifying me that a new device was detected and a driver was installed, but I do not recall its name - because, unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to what it was called because I was more excited about using my long-awaited Push3.... <sigh - lesson learned>

In Windows Device Manager, under "Other Devices", it lists "Ableton Push 3 Display", and "Ableton Push 3 xPort", and both devices have the error message:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

Even though, as mentioned above, a driver was installed when I turned my Push 3 on for the first time.

There is a process called "Push3.exe" running. (I checked for any Push 3 related processes in Task Manager.)

Is "Push3" supposed to appear in the drop-down of control surfaces in Preferences? And if not, what am I supposed to choose? The drop-down lists "Push" and "Push2", among all of the huge list of other companies' products.

This section in Preferences does show now (after upgrading Live to 11.3.10) two Push 3 MIDI inputs and two MIDI outputs and their respective check-boxes. These options were NOT present until I upgraded Live to 11.3.10 today.

When I turn Push 3 on when Live is NOT running, the Push displays the following message: "Connect Push to a computer and open Live to make music".

Then when I open Live, the octave pads then light up white and "breathe". So something is being communicated between Push 3 and Live... I would think.

I'm using a USB-C to USB-3 adapter between the USB-C cable included with my Push, and my laptop USB port. (I have the tethered version of Push.) Is that problematic? (I've tried inserting the USB-C connector into the adapter both ways. No luck.)

I can't find any information about this white, breathing octave light problem anywhere, except from another user on this forum, but they had a different problem, that just happened to display the same "symptoms".

My Push 3 has never shown anything in the screen above the pads but the message I mentioned above about connecting to a computer. No firmware updates, like when I turned on my Push 2 for the first time - nothing but what I described above.

I have relaunched Live, rebooted my computer, held the Push power button down for 10 seconds.... I'm a novice, I've exhausted my limited troubleshooting abilities.

When I held the power button down for 10 seconds, the "Save" button on the Push lit up in green. I pressed that Save button. Then I tried holding it down for a little longer. I tried holding both the Save button down while holding the power button down. However, nothing changed in this situation.

I have Push 2 - is there some uninstall process I needed to do - can there be some conflict? I simply unplugged Push 2, and plugged in Push 3. (I didn't see anything about uninstalling Push 2 in the Push 3 online manual.)

I am running Windows 7. Live runs fine. Push 2 works fine. I had contacted Ableton customer support before I ordered - specifically to ask if Push 3 worked with Windows 7. They said Push would run if Live 11.3 and above would run. I've had no issues with Live 11.3. So I bought the tethered Push 3 when it became available.

Quite nervous because the clock is ticking - less than 30 days of the return period, and technical support is majorly busy.

Any help, information, advice, would be really appreciated.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Just lots of frustration with Push 3 (tethered) - Push detects Live (I think) but just hangs.

Post by [jur] » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:17 am

Sorry I'm not a Windows user so there's things I can't answer, but:

- Unlike Push 1 and 2, there's no Push3 in the Control Surfaces. So that's normal.
- I'd try another USB cable or adapter if possible (or try with another computer)
- The white "breathing" lights pattern is the startup process, nothing to worry about. Why it doesn't go further... that's the question.
- Can try turning Push on by holding the User button and pressing the power button. Are you seeing any options?

In any case, stay in touch with Support and don't worry about the 30 days period. Support is busy but is taking this into account regarding the 30 days return policy.
Ableton Forum Moderator

apocatiel

Re: Just lots of frustration with Push 3 (tethered) - Push detects Live (I think) but just hangs.

Post by apocatiel » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:46 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:17 am

- Unlike Push 1 and 2, there's no Push3 in the Control Surfaces. So that's normal.
- I'd try another USB cable or adapter if possible (or try with another computer)
- The white "breathing" lights pattern is the startup process, nothing to worry about. Why it doesn't go further... that's the question.
- Can try turning Push on by holding the User button and pressing the power button. Are you seeing any options?

In any case, stay in touch with Support and don't worry about the 30 days period. Support is busy but is taking this into account regarding the 30 days return policy.
Hi jur,

Thanks for your reply!

There are no user options when I press the User key when turning on my Push 3, unfortunately.

When it comes to the list of control surfaces, which should I select? Options for Push 3 do appear under the "Input" and Output" dropdowns, directly to the right of the "Control Surface" dropdown. Those options are "Ableton Push 3 MIDI (Port 2)" and "Ableton Push3 MIDI (Port 3)". It seems like some communication is going on between Live and Push - so close but so far!

I'll try on my other computer. Thanks for the advice!

whatisnotrue

Post by whatisnotrue » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:45 pm

apocatiel wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:46 pm
[jur] wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:17 am

Hi jur,

Thanks for your reply!

There are no user options when I press the User key when turning on my Push 3, unfortunately.

When it comes to the list of control surfaces, which should I select? Options for Push 3 do appear under the "Input" and Output" dropdowns, directly to the right of the "Control Surface" dropdown. Those options are "Ableton Push 3 MIDI (Port 2)" and "Ableton Push3 MIDI (Port 3)". It seems like some communication is going on between Live and Push - so close but so far!

I'll try on my other computer. Thanks for the advice!
You shouldn't have to select any control surfaces. So long as Push 3 is in control mode it's already established a connection and should be reflecting Live's state. With track MIDI input I just leave it on "all ins" unless you have MIDI coming in from other controllers / devices.

biadjo

Post by biadjo » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:10 pm

Having the exact same issue as the OP :( . Did support get to the bottom of this? Any solutions? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Alfonz3

Post by Alfonz3 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:09 pm

I had this exact experience when first trying to activate controller version of Push 3. Discovered that the culprit was using USB-C to USB-C into a powered hub. When I tried USB-C to USB-A directly into my PC's port the problem was solved. Tech support had also told me to try disabling one of my graphics cards (I have both Intel HD and NIVDIA). Disabling NVIDIA (and the usb-c to usb-a connection) got Push working on my other computer, but on my main PC I'm able to run both graphics cards without a problem so long as Push is not connected thru a powered hub. Try both solutions and see if one works...
Hope this helps.