Select MIDI input on Push standalone?

Discuss Push with other users.
ark

Select MIDI input on Push standalone?

Post by ark » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:10 am

Suppose I have a MIDI controller (such as a keyboard) connected to the Push USB input. Is there a way to have that controller send MIDI to one track while the Push built-in pads send MIDI to another track? I want to be able to play more than one sound at a time.

If I can do it for a controller plugged into the Push USB input, can I do it for *two* controllers plugged into the same input via a USB bib?

Just_Pierre

Re: Select MIDI input on Push standalone?

Post by Just_Pierre » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:56 am

1. Yes, of course that's possible. Both tracks must armed and the external keyboard must be set to the selected midi channel of the track.
2. Also possible using a usb hub.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:19 am

What does “the selected MIDI channel of the track” mean in the contest of MPE?

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:21 am

ark wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:19 am
What does “the selected MIDI channel of the track” mean in the contest of MPE?
Nothing

ark

Post by ark » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:00 pm

When you said that “…the external keyboard must be set to the selected MIDI channel of the track,” how do I do that if the track is using MPE?

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:07 pm

ark wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:00 pm
When you said that “…the external keyboard must be set to the selected MIDI channel of the track,” how do I do that if the track is using MPE?
Like I said, change the midi channel of that track. And set the channel midi from that specific keyboard.

elbows

Post by elbows » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:28 pm

Since channel stuff is not helpful for MPE, I would think that you'd control this stuff by changing the input settings on a track so that different tracks are controlled by completely different MIDI input devices that show up in the list of Input devices. ie change the track settings so that 'all ins' is not selected for input. Multiple USB MIDI input devices should show up as individual entries.

And these settings are certainly available on Push standalone. Select a MIDI track. Press the 2nd button above the jog wheel (vertical lines). Press the 2nd button above the screen (Input & Output), make sure Input is selected, then use the next encoder along to choose from the list of input devices.

Depending on what you then want to do, eg recording, you may want to switch off 'exclusive arm' in the settings page and then manually arm multiple tracks at once by holding down track buttons.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:07 pm

Aha! Your suggestion sent me in the right direction, though it didn't quite get me there. The trick is that you have to press the second button above the jog wheel TWICE. The first press gets you to the mixer view; subsequent presses toggle between the mixer view and a menu of more detailed options: "Mix," "Input & Output," and so on.

The "Input & Output" section allows you to select a MIDI channel--which, as I observed earlier, is useless for MPE--and also select an input device. The default is "All," which is the problem I had earlier.

Also, I had been led astray by the button with the gear icon (fourth button in upper left). That button let me select input devices; but of course it did not have the desired effect because that selection is only for the purpose of setting the global properties of each device: whether to use it at all; whether to accept MIDI control from it, whether it supports MPE, and so on.