Discuss Push with other users.
xrcst

Re: Unlock Push 3 - change collection names and much more

Post by xrcst » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:56 pm

[/quote]

You could try to put the midi remote scripts to the following folder:

Code: Select all

/data/.config/Ableton/Live <current version>/User Remote Scripts
I don't have such device at hand, so I couldn't check for you, sorry.
[/quote]

Yep, this is where I put my Remote script.
The problem is, it's not mapped to midi input/output - can't be currently mapped on P3S.
I tried mapping it on computer, saving to a set and transferring to P3S, but it's ignored.

The logs clearly state it's reading the Preferences.cfg file, but the Preferences.cfg isn't humanly readable, it's some sort of weird format.
(the Library.cfg is nice XML, so probably some legacy stuff - Preferences.cfg has the same weird format on Mac too)

So if we could hack the format of Preferences.cfg, we should be able to map Control surfaces and other cool stuff imho...

023-10-30T08:29:29.432074: info: AMidiIO: Midi Remote Scripts:
MidiRemoteScript 1 [Control Surface="AIRA_MX_1" Input="None" Output="None"]
MidiRemoteScript 2 [Control Surface="None" Input="None" Output="None"]
MidiRemoteScript 3 [Control Surface="None" Input="None" Output="None"]
MidiRemoteScript 4 [Control Surface="None" Input="None" Output="None"]
MidiRemoteScript 5 [Control Surface="None" Input="None" Output="None"]
MidiRemoteScript 6 [Control Surface="None" Input="None" Output="None"]
MidiRemoteScript 7 [Control Surface="None" Input="FromPush" Output="ToPush"]

sigabort

Re: Unlock Push 3 - change collection names, default tracks, USB and more

Post by sigabort » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:40 pm

Hi, is this still working does anyone know?

Not getting any luck with 'http://push.local/ssh'

Edit: S'ok - rebooted all getting the connection now.

thx

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:56 pm

Has anyone tried mounting the drive inside P3 onto a linux machine and running Live from it?

Also, not going to try this until I've had chance to back up the disk, but has anyone tried getting sftp up and running?

Fin Lux

Post by Fin Lux » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:04 pm

I've just tried to change the collection tags and my push :roll: got stuck:

It got stuck in the loop cycle after editing the template.cfg to rename the collections (and following the steps in the YouTube video/post).
I think the solution was to delete the "&" symbol I was using in the collection name. I replaced it with a "/", killed the processes and rebooted.

Voila, everything works now!
Can anybody reproduce this behaviour?

Thanks anyway for this Hack!

acnorytm

Post by acnorytm » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:09 pm

So managed to install some 3rd-party packs (some made by me) with previews working on my Push 3 SA.

First of all, if a pack you have doesn't have working previews follow this guide to get previews working in Live on PC/Mac https://www.reddit.com/r/abletonlive/co ... rk_in_the/
If you have samples in your pack, you need to make sure the samples are inside the Ableton pack folder you created, and the instruments using the samples are reading the samples from that same folder. The location of the samples should say 'Factory Content' if done correctly
https://imgur.com/a/PHJ6J54

Once you have a pack working with previews on your computer you're ready to copy it over to your push.

If you have already added a SSH public key to your push you're ready to go, if not see the first post and follow that guide. Make sure you can connect to the push via SSH.

I'm using Terminal in MacOS. You don't need to login to the Push from Terminal, you can do it directly from your computer using scp -r

remove the brackets from code [] and drag the pack you made there, then a space then "ableton@push.local:~/Music/Ableton/Factory\ Packs" keeping the ""

Once the copy is complete, restart push and your packs should be visible with all the other factory packs and the previews working!

the scp -r code is a copy folder code, scp -r [location of folder on local machine] ["location of remote machine & path"]

Hit me up if you got any questions

Code: Select all

scp -r [drag pack here] "ableton@push.local:~/Music/Ableton/Factory\ Packs"

bouke

Post by bouke » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:31 pm

Thats really cool!

acnorytm

Post by acnorytm » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:47 pm

bouke wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:31 pm
Thats really cool!
All thanks to you!

troyboymusic

Post by troyboymusic » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:23 pm

bouke wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:54 pm

By the way, this method isn't limited. You can use the drive like any other folder in the P3. So from within Ableton you can transfer to and from this drive, make backups, etc.
will this allow live projects to load from the USB key? or only sample sources?

CH7

Post by CH7 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:50 pm

bouke wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:43 am
Intro
What if I told you there is a way to access your Push 3 Standalone SSD? Once you do, you can do all kinds of things, like:
Since the Push 3 standalone (I will refer to it as the 'P3' in the rest of this document) is nothing more (and nothing less) than a great controller with an x86-based PC in it, running Linux AND running SSH, you can!

I've created this tutorial as a video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/kaU7AnphyS0
For a brief nanosec, i thought maybe you'd swapped out the NUC compute element BKCM11EBi716W too. ;0)
That'll be an interesting experiment for anyone with the £500 balls to do so. 16gb i7 with the extra power draw and extra thermals to boot.

The ability to load samples and packs from an external USB / M.2 dongle would be very interesting. I hope Ableton makes this official.

kingof9x

Post by kingof9x » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:15 pm

sigabort wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:56 pm
Has anyone tried mounting the drive inside P3 onto a linux machine and running Live from it?

Also, not going to try this until I've had chance to back up the disk, but has anyone tried getting sftp up and running?

I haven't tried booting from the drive or mounting and chrooting into it yet but looking at the file system i dont think it will boot to anything more than a terminal because there is no window manager installed. There isn't even a package manager on there so i stalling other software will be an additional challenge.

I read about someone on reddit replacing the intel nic with the 17 version with 16 gb of ram and it didn't boot. That tells me it probably has a custom kernel built just for the specific hardware on the push 3.

I really hope ableton further develops live for Linux.

jimi232

Post by jimi232 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:32 pm

xrcst wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:56 pm
Yep, this is where I put my Remote script.
The problem is, it's not mapped to midi input/output - can't be currently mapped on P3S.
I tried mapping it on computer, saving to a set and transferring to P3S, but it's ignored.

The logs clearly state it's reading the Preferences.cfg file, but the Preferences.cfg isn't humanly readable, it's some sort of weird format.
(the Library.cfg is nice XML, so probably some legacy stuff - Preferences.cfg has the same weird format on Mac too)

So if we could hack the format of Preferences.cfg, we should be able to map Control surfaces and other cool stuff imho...
Did you manage to get the Faderfox Remote Script working? I transferred the Faderfox_Universal_2 folder via SSH to the /User Remote Scripts folder but no luck.

I'm not sure what it takes for Ableton to include default Remote Scripts but adding another voice that would be great to have the Faderfox Universal scripts included in a future Push build! :D

LiveInNYC

Post by LiveInNYC » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:52 pm

Hi folks! I too would be interested in getting the FaderFox EC4 working with Live. I have copied the folder via SSH as suggested too.

That said, my Novation Launchkey mk3 works just fine:

2024-03-14T23:29:16.609911: info: AMidiIO: Midi Remote Scripts:
MidiRemoteScript 1 [Control Surface="Launchkey_MK3" Input="Launchkey MK3 37 LKMK3 DAW In" Output="Launchkey MK3 37 LKMK3 DAW In"]

I haven't tried my other devices, but a USB hub works fine as well to connect both the Launchkey and the FaderFox.

contortrix

Post by contortrix » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:07 am

I copied a bunch of .alp files to the Push 3 SA as described above, and rebooted a couple of times, but they never show up.

I'm going to keep investigating, but perhaps someone already knows what might be preventing the packs from showing up? It's a combination of third party packs from Fors and some older Ableton Live official packs that weren't present in the factory pack selection for 11 or 12 on Push 3 SA.

I'm on 12.0b30 and firmware 1.4.1.
I'm holding off on firmware 2.0b30 until after I make a backup, because I had to wipe the whole machine after the previous firmware update.

I found that `htop` is installed by default, which is grand!
[ Live 12 Suite ] [ Push 3 SA ] [ Linnstrument ]
Mech-17GP2 = i9-13900HX | 8TB NVMe | 64GB DDR5 | GTX 4090 | CRG9 | Win11 Pro
iFi Gryphon + MOTU M4 + DCA Aeon X + Focal Alpha 65

bouke

Post by bouke » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

I'm happy to report that everything is still working after upgrading. Since my device was on the live 11 beta stream, I first needed to revert to the official release stream, followed the excellent upgrade procedures to 12, and went to 12 beta from there. Even after all these steps, the SSH keys were still valid. The changes I made to the collection names are still okay. Overall, the upgrade was a pretty smooth experience. Only thing I'm missing is the template I made - but that's easy to fix.

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:52 am

troyboymusic wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:23 pm
bouke wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:54 pm

By the way, this method isn't limited. You can use the drive like any other folder in the P3. So from within Ableton you can transfer to and from this drive, make backups, etc.
will this allow live projects to load from the USB key? or only sample sources?
I am also interested to know if you can load packs or projects from a USB drive. I'm contemplating upgrading the internal drive to 1TB, but have a spare 1TB USB SSD sitting around and would be cheaper for me to use that.

I have not installed my upgrade kit yet. Was wandering if it makes more sense to do the drive upgrade first (if the USB option does not work) before turning it on as standalone. Will I avoid the authorisation issue seen by XRCST that way?