Change of the hardware - Preventing problems with licensing

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Gral

Change of the hardware - Preventing problems with licensing

Post by Gral » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:35 am

Hello music friends,

I would like to install a new graphics card in my system. Since this changes the hardware ID, there should be a lot of problems with the licensing of Ableton and most of the plug-ins.

Is there a way to keep this problem as small as possible?

Greetings

Gral

Rivanni

Re: Change of the hardware - Preventing problems with licensing

Post by Rivanni » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:59 am

Live is already authorized so I doubt it will cause problems.
Each Live license comes with two authorizations. If Live is only installed on this pc, you're good.
If it isn't the only computer and replacing the graphics requires a new authorization, you can explain the situation and ask for a new authorization. Ableton will most likely give you one because they are nice people.

I

Gral

Post by Gral » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:07 am

Rivanni wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:59 am
Each Live license comes with two authorizations. If Live is only installed on this pc, you're good.
If it isn't the only computer and replacing the graphics requires a new authorization, you can explain the situation and ask for a new authorization. Ableton will most likely give you one because they are nice people.

I
Thanks Rivanni.

I think, Live isn't the problem. I'm more concerned about how the plug-ins behave. I have some from IK-Multimedia, Korg, U-he and more. If you have to re-register everything, it's not really nice.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:36 pm

That will depend on how each individual plug in manufacturer implements their licensing I’m afraid. You’d have to ask them all about this if you’re worried about it.

Gral

Post by Gral » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:15 am

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:36 pm
That will depend on how each individual plug in manufacturer implements their licensing I’m afraid. You’d have to ask them all about this if you’re worried about it.
Yes, I almost thought something like that. It does discourage changing the hardware of the computer. Basically, you need a dedicated computer for music production that isn't used for anything else.

Well, it's only 2023, so maybe this problem will be solved in the distant future.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:59 pm

Gral wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:07 am
Rivanni wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:59 am

I
Thanks Rivanni.

I think, Live isn't the problem. I'm more concerned about how the plug-ins behave. I have some from IK-Multimedia, Korg, U-he and more. If you have to re-register everything, it's not really nice.
Most companies usually have no issue for licensing on like two computers.

Those three companies you mentioned are probably similar to Ableton in that matter.

That said there are a few companies that will force you to deregister your version. Waves, Propellerheads, and Lennar Digital comes to mind.

It probably wouldn't hurt to deregister then re-register after the change. But yes as others mentioned it helps asking the company. Most are generally nice about it even if you screw up and usually will offer some guidance/suggestions in this process.