DAWProject - yes - archenemy Bigwig is behind it - but please Ableton.... Support it

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nonchai

DAWProject - yes - archenemy Bigwig is behind it - but please Ableton.... Support it

Post by nonchai » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:28 pm

Read here -

https://cdm.link/2023/09/dawformat-bitwig-presonus/

TLDR.

DAWproject’s creators hope the format will become a new open standard that lets you move projects between software.

Bitwig are again promoting a format they say they hope will be open – after last year talking about the CLAP plug-in format (with u-he). This time, they’re teaming up with PreSonus, makers of Studio One.

As long as you use those two DAWs, you can use this right now today (via Bitwig Studio 5.0.9 and Studio One 6.5). As for the rest, the complete specification is on GitHub under a permissive open source MIT license.

So what do you get out of this versus past interchange formats? DAWformat covers more of what is actually in a complete project. Versus AAF (Advanced Authoring Format), some selling points:

Both beats and seconds supported as time formats
More audio metadata (time warping and transposition information)
Notes and note expressions
Tempo, time signature, and MIDI messages (a la SMF)
Channels states: panning, muting, sends
Plug-in state, parameter, and automation values (plus the same for internal devices)
Profiles for generic EQ, compressor, gate, and limiter (as in the stuff your DAW is likely to have internally)
Clips and scenes

from more go to the link

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: DAWProject - yes - archenemy Bigwig is behind it - but please Ableton.... Support it

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:10 am

Yep, that's quite a killer tool they developed here, great great initiative.
Let's hope others will follow.
And same for CLAP; even though I don't use 3rd party plugins, the initiative is pure class and I can only support this being adopted by every DAW.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Re: DAWProject - yes - archenemy Bigwig is behind it - but please Ableton.... Support it

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:54 am

My main complaint is SysEx is not part of DAWProject. Regardless of Bitwigs and Lives disregard for SysEx, it's a great way to archive hardware presets in controllers and synths etc. into your project among other things.

Beyond that I completely agree, and I should go to the project code hub and request SysEx be added instead of just complain about it. I don't do

It's a great idea, same with CLAP, the idea of an open source format not tied to a DAW or OS was needed 20 years ago. :x

agustinvolpe

Post by agustinvolpe » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 pm

+10!
This would be huge!