Just switched to new mac and live is hanging

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bray

Just switched to new mac and live is hanging

Post by bray » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:29 pm

Hi,
I just migrated over to a new Mac with an M2 chip. Live was working fine for about a day. Then suddenly it just started hanging so badly it's non-functional. It will output audio fine, but the playhead, meters and counter all freeze, then jump, then freeze. I then updated Live from 11.3.2 to 11.3.11 today and it's still hung up. I even did a clean re-install. Playhead doesn't move in arrangement even on a new, empty project. I've re-scanned plug ins and no change. I've got like 15 sessions I'm actively working on for a project and am pulling out my hair!
I'm on OS Ventura 13.5. But I'm mostly confused as to why after working for about 16 hours, it just began stalling. Anyone else encounter this??
Thanks much,
Bray

misterpatrick

Re: JUST SWITCHED TO NEW MAC AND LIVE IS HANGING

Post by misterpatrick » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:11 pm

The is another thread with the same issues. I wonder if it is a Ventura issue. I’m still using Monterey on an M1 and haven’t had any issues. One option might be to do a Timemachine backup, update your OS to Sonoma which is supposed to be more stable and see if that fixes it. With a backup you can at least go back if that doesn’t work.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:36 pm

Did you check to make sure all your plug ins are up to date and compatible with Apple M-Chips too? Also, try setting your latency buffer to 128 samples in the audio preferences in Live, that seems to be the sweet spot for the newer Apple computers.

bray

Post by bray » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:36 pm
Did you check to make sure all your plug ins are up to date and compatible with Apple M-Chips too? Also, try setting your latency buffer to 128 samples in the audio preferences in Live, that seems to be the sweet spot for the newer Apple computers.
Thanks very much for this. I tried 128. No luck. Maybe this will sound ridiculous....but is there a systematic way I can go about confirming if my plug ins are up to date and compatible with the Apple M chips? I've got a good number of plug in and instruments....again, thanks to any and all for advice.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:26 am

bray wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:58 pm
Tarekith wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:36 pm
Thanks very much for this. I tried 128. No luck. Maybe this will sound ridiculous....but is there a systematic way I can go about confirming if my plug ins are up to date and compatible with the Apple M chips? I've got a good number of plug in and instruments....again, thanks to any and all for advice.
Nope, not really, most, not all plugins show their version number without doing a command I for get info but most do. Even then you need to go to each web site or open up each manufacturer plugin installer to check against the latest versions they have. Plugin Alliance, Arturia, NI, iZotope, Traction etc. all have their own downloaders and most tell you if a plugin is out of date.

Another elephant in the room, some people have reported Ventura related issues, hanging, spiking and dropouts. Some guy on the RME forums swore he had insider information that it was a Ventura issue, and updating to the Sonoma beta fixed it. So updating to Sonoma is probably a good idea as well. BUT, you will still want to spend the time updating plugins and should probably do it first.

misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:28 am

Just disable all of your plugins in the preferences and the. See if the plug-ins are the issue.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:56 am

bray wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:58 pm
but is there a systematic way I can go about confirming if my plug ins are up to date and compatible with the Apple M chips?
YES

Follow the advice in this video. This video is 18 months old now (from when M1 was new), but the how-to’s on checking plugin compatibility is still absolutely up to date.

https://youtu.be/eqr9qjNS2kU?si=TWXO7gfNhyhnCAZ3

The relevant info starts at 5:20.

Couple of great tips in there about using Mac Activity Monitor + a free app called ArchiChect to see what’s what.

Sorry to hear about your woes, but this might help you rule out plugin issues and point the finger of suspicion elsewhere :)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:09 am

That’s some good advice. I’ve been running Live on an M1 PowerBook since December with zero issues. Running 512 l buffer and have been doing live performances with a bunch of 3rd party plug-ins (primarily Arturia) with live vocal processing. I’m sure you can figure the culprit out, it’s a super stable system once you do. Every crash I’ve had is related to a plug-in.

bray

Post by bray » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:59 am

Ok thanks all. I've been opening plug ins kind of one at a time and have found several that needed to be re-installed and/or upgraded. I did disable all plug ins in preferences but that didn't do it. I switched interfaces on the off chance, but no luck yet. I will grab Archichect as well.
Quick Question: Would plug ins that are not even in the project cause the DAW to hang like this? Because I can open a totally blank project and it still stalls.
Thank you all for the thoughtful help. I will keep at this and keep you updated. I'm going to try EVERYTHING before upgrading to Sonoma because...I mean, it's only a baby for crying out loud. But maybe it will be a magic baby.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:19 am

Did you try using another audio interface (even the mac's builtin one)? And without any controller/external gear connected?
Are you streaming audio files from another drive? Or from a cloud-based thing?
Ableton Forum Moderator

cids

Post by cids » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:43 am

Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

bray

Post by bray » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:50 am

cids wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:43 am
Try resetting Ableton:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... eset-Live-
I will absolutely try that once I'm done with plug ins. But here is an interesting detail: When I tried to record a Quicktime Screencapture to send to Ableton to demonstrate the problem, the issue resolved 100%. It didn't matter if it was a new or old session. I actually could not capture the behavior. And as soon as recording in QT stopped, the hanging/stalling would return. It was crazy. I feel like, for smarter people than me, that must provide some clue, right??

cids

Re: Just switched to new mac and live is hanging

Post by cids » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:59 am

Looks like same issue is posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=247769
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

bray

Post by bray » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:25 pm

cids wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:59 am
Looks like same issue is posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=247769
Just asked the person if the issue was ever resolved. Thanks for the head up!!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:25 pm

bray wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:29 pm
Hi,
I just migrated over to a new Mac with an M2 chip. Live was working fine for about a day. Then suddenly it just started hanging so badly it's non-functional. It will output audio fine, but the playhead, meters and counter all freeze, then jump, then freeze. I then updated Live from 11.3.2 to 11.3.11 today and it's still hung up. I even did a clean re-install. Playhead doesn't move in arrangement even on a new, empty project. I've re-scanned plug ins and no change. I've got like 15 sessions I'm actively working on for a project and am pulling out my hair!
I'm on OS Ventura 13.5. But I'm mostly confused as to why after working for about 16 hours, it just began stalling. Anyone else encounter this??
Thanks much,
Bray
I posted elsewhere, UPGRADE TO SONOMA!
Sorry for the caps, but apparently there was some CPU core schedualing issues with Ventura keeping heavy tasks on efficiency cores causing all kinds of issues with DAWs etc. Sonoma fixes this according to the plugin developer Blur Cat Audio. Here's their post on it.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... e-silicon/