MPE Channel Settings Menu for M4L Devices

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
arvindj

MPE Channel Settings Menu for M4L Devices

Post by arvindj » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:13 pm

Is there any way to configure the MPE channel settings for an M4L device in the same way it's possible for an MPE enabled plugin?

I need to set the the Last Note Channel for the MPE data going into a device and for some reason, even though my MPE hardware interface (Sensel Morph) is assigning the channels sequentially (from 2 onwards, resetting each time all contact points are lifted), the channels coming into the M4L device keep climbing up to 16 without resetting in the same way.

There seems to be an recurring theme here where it looks like Live 11's MPE implementation is still a work in progress..

Rivanni

Re: MPE Channel Settings Menu for M4L Devices

Post by Rivanni » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:26 am

There is no recurring theme.

With MPE, MIDI channels are handled in a round-robin manner, which is a common practice. But if the channels would be handled randomly, MPE still works.
There's no need to reset, but it wouldn't hurt either.
MPE just works as long as there are free channels.

Your Sensel Morph may reset, but Live, Max and other DAWs and MPE controllers don't.

arvindj

Post by arvindj » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:26 am
There is no recurring theme.
This was in reference to another issue where MPE data is not recorded into a clip correctly, discussed in another thread:
viewtopic.php?t=248532

A support ticket has been raised for this issue.
Rivanni wrote:
With MPE, MIDI channels are handled in a round-robin manner, which is a common practice. But if the channels would be handled randomly, MPE still works.
There's no need to reset, but it wouldn't hurt either.
MPE just works as long as there are free channels.
I am working with a specific use case in which I need the MIDI channels to be constrained to a specific set (i.e. 2-9). This is for a custom Max device but it is also necessary in other situations. For example, in Kontakt a quick way of making an MPE instrument is to duplicate an instrument and set each MIDI channel individually. There are similar situations in Reaktor where the coding of an ensemble is aided by being able to control the number of voices and limit the range of MIDI channels.

In Live 10 (pre-MPE), it was possible to use MPE interfaces by setting up individual duplicate MIDI tracks for each channel and then routing that data into a single Max device that handled the input as needed.
Rivanni wrote:
Your Sensel Morph may reset, but Live, Max and other DAWs and MPE controllers don't.
This is incorrect. In both Logic, Reaktor and in Max standalone, the MIDI channel for an event message is simply whatever is sent by the hardware interface - no reassigning happens. In the case of the Sensel, this is not random but instead counts upwards for each contact point and resets when all contact points are lifted.

As MPE plugins have the MPE Channel Settings menu which allows an upper limit to be set, it would be great if that same feature could be available for MPE Max devices.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:20 pm

What if you use another midi track as a midi input, since you can set its MPE base channel + channel count ?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 9113250322

(Cannot try at the moment, no computer)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

arvindj

Post by arvindj » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:04 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:20 pm
What if you use another midi track as a midi input, since you can set its MPE base channel + channel count ?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 9113250322

(Cannot try at the moment, no computer)
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I just tried it and it still doesn't work - the MIDI track receiving the MIDI ignores the Last Note Channel.

This is wierd but it also makes sense as the MIDI track is already ignoring and re-assigning the MIDI channel data from the Sensel.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:01 pm

I was afraid it won’t work. Ableton has the bad habit to assume everything is channel 1.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1