Feature Wishlist 2024

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
MallorcaMalle

Feature Wishlist 2024

Post by MallorcaMalle » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:47 am

Feature wishlist for an already great software:
  • Combine freeze + flatten to be executed in one step (as option)
  • Show MIDI CC modulaton lines like automation lines also in the arranger view. Automation in orange, MIDI CC in blue color, just like in the clip view.
  • *.asd files: Stop spreading *.asd analysis files all over one's sample libraries. Instead store them in the project together with the samples, just as it is already done when one selects "Collect all and save". I can not see the huge benefit of the current solution, that stores these *.asd files independently of a project. It may be good for long samples, not having to analyze them twice. But how high is the chance, that long samples are used again and again in different projects. And if so, one can import the track from an existing project, where the ASD file then is already prepared. So Live should always analyze imported audio, but only if there is no ASD file in the project. The option in the settings to turn-off analysis is not needed anymore then.
  • Function to auto-generate scenes from all markers in the arrangement. Currently one has to select loop by loop in Live to generate the scenes from it for a live performance.
  • Drag and drop new instrument/audio track inbetween two exisiting tracks. Currently one has to drop under the last existing track.
  • Re-ordering Tracks is slow and should be more responsive.
  • Group tracks should waste less trackspace in arrangement view, when included tracks are visible. Currently an unfolded group track gets higher and higher the more tracks are inside. But honestly I cannot see a plausible reason for this.
  • Stock plugin for automatic ("Autotune") and/or manual vocals tuning.
  • ARA
  • Stereo field adjustment with visualization, also on Push 2/3 (Utility widen not enough).
  • Mastering "suite" with visualization (LUFS Loudness, phase cancelation, wave scope, etc.), also visualization on Push 2/3 to mix on the device
  • Automatic sorting of all plugins into categories (Delay, Modulator, etc.) like other DAWs to it. One can use collections for this but then every plugin change requires keeping collection up-to-date manually.
  • In addition to the above combine stock plugins, 3rd party plugins and M4L plugins under "Plugins". I.m.o. it makes no sense, when one needs a delay there are these three different classifications. It may be good to sort them by vendor under "Plugins" and treat M4L as a vendor and then auto-subcategorize the plugins function (delay, etc.) per vendor.
  • Simplify automation / modulation lines automatically after recording is stopped.
  • Fix HiDPI mode when OS scaling is other than 100% on Windows 10/11. Currently Live struggles to display especially Arturia and NI plugins in high resolution when OS UI is scaled (Live: HiDPI activated, plugin auto scaling deactivated, Windows 11: Scaling 150%).

railpressureflip

Re: Feature Wishlist 2024

Post by railpressureflip » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:14 pm

Great list!
Shame no one’s showing any interest 😒

Tommix

Re: Feature Wishlist 2024

Post by Tommix » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:38 pm

MallorcaMalle wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:47 am
Feature wishlist for an already great software:
  • Combine freeze + flatten to be executed in one step (as option)
  • Show MIDI CC modulaton lines like automation lines also in the arranger view. Automation in orange, MIDI CC in blue color, just like in the clip view.
  • *.asd files: Stop spreading *.asd analysis files all over one's sample libraries. Instead store them in the project together with the samples, just as it is already done when one selects "Collect all and save". I can not see the huge benefit of the current solution, that stores these *.asd files independently of a project. It may be good for long samples, not having to analyze them twice. But how high is the chance, that long samples are used again and again in different projects. And if so, one can import the track from an existing project, where the ASD file then is already prepared. So Live should always analyze imported audio, but only if there is no ASD file in the project. The option in the settings to turn-off analysis is not needed anymore then.
  • Function to auto-generate scenes from all markers in the arrangement. Currently one has to select loop by loop in Live to generate the scenes from it for a live performance.
  • Drag and drop new instrument/audio track inbetween two exisiting tracks. Currently one has to drop under the last existing track.
  • Re-ordering Tracks is slow and should be more responsive.
  • Group tracks should waste less trackspace in arrangement view, when included tracks are visible. Currently an unfolded group track gets higher and higher the more tracks are inside. But honestly I cannot see a plausible reason for this.
  • Stock plugin for automatic ("Autotune") and/or manual vocals tuning.
  • ARA
  • Stereo field adjustment with visualization, also on Push 2/3 (Utility widen not enough).
  • Mastering "suite" with visualization (LUFS Loudness, phase cancelation, wave scope, etc.), also visualization on Push 2/3 to mix on the device
  • Automatic sorting of all plugins into categories (Delay, Modulator, etc.) like other DAWs to it. One can use collections for this but then every plugin change requires keeping collection up-to-date manually.
  • In addition to the above combine stock plugins, 3rd party plugins and M4L plugins under "Plugins". I.m.o. it makes no sense, when one needs a delay there are these three different classifications. It may be good to sort them by vendor under "Plugins" and treat M4L as a vendor and then auto-subcategorize the plugins function (delay, etc.) per vendor.
  • Simplify automation / modulation lines automatically after recording is stopped.
  • Fix HiDPI mode when OS scaling is other than 100% on Windows 10/11. Currently Live struggles to display especially Arturia and NI plugins in high resolution when OS UI is scaled (Live: HiDPI activated, plugin auto scaling deactivated, Windows 11: Scaling 150%).
Yes, the suggestions are very practical and, yes, Live is great to work with.

For me, too, improvements would be useful at the points where it goes from composition to mixing and mastering, where the overview and the switch to simplified detail and processor relief have to take place.

Working with two screens I miss an overview of the signal chain (w on/off display) on the individual tracks in Session View and the ability to manage the plug-ins there more easily.

In any case, I would add to your list that Live is mainly being renewed under the surface, for example, Live should get the maximum out of the processors; here it seems comparatively sluggish and slows down enormously, according to James Zhan (The Ultimate M1/M2 Mac Buying Guide for Music Production: M2 vs M2 Pro vs M2 Max vs M2 Ultra).