Push 3 UI/UX, selction of items in a list

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
llorenzo

Push 3 UI/UX, selction of items in a list

Post by llorenzo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:18 pm

Hi, I'm just trying to adjust a mod target on Push 3 Wavetable.
Basically the way Push displays a list.

And I'm having trouble to simply select the entry I want.
It seems like a silly UX advice but 3 things could make the selction of such targets much easier.
  • The scrolling would be up and down, with the selcted item in the middle
  • The typo would be smaller to see more of the name of the item, and possibly more Items. A list would be generally recognised a such.
  • The sentitivity would be lower. Right now only a slight touch of the encoder is missing the item
It is a speed breaker but the flow of using a machine in a creative way should be staedy.
Building speed and muscle memory should be natural.
Last edited by llorenzo on Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llorenzo

Re: Push 3 UI/UX, selction of items in a list

Post by llorenzo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:59 pm

I realise, that they have grafix under some lists. That is somewhat nice but is less helpful as a good scrolling UX. Maybe it is also because a slight lagginess of the system, but selcting items from a list on Push 3 SA is a totally frustrating experience and must be adressed.

For Example: try selcting an Osicillator in the Wavetabel. Say you're on OSC1 and want to select the Sub OSC. I need special fokus, a slow down and at least a couple of trials and errors to select it. Arrgh!
It needs to be one quick, predictable and memorable action.

llorenzo

Re: Push 3 UI/UX, selction of items in a list

Post by llorenzo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:09 am

Yes, the lagginess of the system plays its part in the problem. Slowing and stopping a quick and flowing handling.
For the lists it could be interesting to seperate the update of the list from the system lag. It will be asyncronious but the dial would feel smooth.