Edit Device Title Bar for plugins?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
De Trop

Edit Device Title Bar for plugins?

Post by De Trop » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:32 pm

Is there a way to edit the device title bar for plugins to display whatever label we want? I'm A/Bing plugin settings, and simply changing the info text on the left is not nearly enough. I tried saving the plugin instance as a preset, but the device title bar doesn't display the name of the new preset. Just the name of the plugin.

I find it absolutely mind-boggling that it's a simple process for Ableton devices like Utility but not for plugins. It should be extremely simple to code.

cids

Re: Edit Device Title Bar for plugins?

Post by cids » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:23 am

Create a group and rename that group
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

jezric

Post by jezric » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:26 pm

Agreed, but yeah, you can create a group in there and name that. You can also Edit the Info text so when you hover over it will show that text in the info pane.

De Trop

Post by De Trop » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 pm

I don't see any option to rename the group, and I haven't figured out how to edit the plugin device title bar, but what I can do is save the group as a preset and then rename that preset to have the name appear in the lower left corner of the group.

In arrange view:

1. Right-click on the title bar of the plugin instance and choose "group"

2. a group bar will now be added to the left of the plugin instance; left click on the disk icon at the bottom of it to save the group

3. a text field will be highlighted in the Browser Content Panel towards the upper left that says "Name" as the top, type the name there

scg

Post by scg » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:50 am

De Trop wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 pm
I don't see any option to rename the group
You should be able to rename the group. However, it seems you have to have the group expanded (not folded) in order for the 'rename' option to be available.

That said, I was also wondering about not being able to rename devices for third-party plugins. Does anyone know why renaming is supported for 'native' devices but not for third-party plugin devices?

scg

Post by scg » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:16 am

+1. Is it true you can't edit device title bars for plugins? (It doesn't appear that you can.) If it is true that you can't edit them, does anyone know why that is?

[Edit: As a separate but related issue, I'm also wondering if/why you can't rename groups that are closed/folded, as mentioned earlier.]

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:15 am

Creating a group is not an elegant solution, because it actually has an impact on CPU use (and it doesn't look great because it adds informations we don't need).
It could be nice to be able to rename a plugin device in the set...