Push 3 Audio Outputs - Failed?

Discuss Push with other users.
zenkick

Push 3 Audio Outputs - Failed?

Post by zenkick » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:50 pm

Has anyone's Push 3's outputs stopped working?

My output #2 started putting out very low (barely audible) volume as compared to output #1.

Then, after performing some of the basic troubleshooting that support asks you to do, my output #1 started exhibiting the same issue.

My outboard mixer inputs are fine -- I can swap the same cable from any of my other instruments and hear the levels I expect. Pan is centered on a test project with a few random samples in a drum rack, master volume is up, etc. All the basics are indeed in place.

The issue occurs in standalone and in controller mode when using Push 3 as the audio interface.

This leads me to believe it's a hardware issue.

Has anyone encountered this behavior? One day it's working. Come back to the studio and the outputs are dying a slow death...

Related, what was your turnaround time from Ableton (yes, I know -- support is backed up, yadda, yadda) if you had a warranty replacement regardless of the issue?

I just want to determine a productive contingency for what I need to do until this is properly handled by support under warranty.

-zk

Sidenote: I remember when I bought my Push 1 many moons ago. About 5 or 6 months later I noticed some odd pad behavior. I sent 1 email with a video of the behavior and within a couple hours had a single response that stated "Looks like a hardware issue. We're sending you a new unit. Return the old one when you receive it."
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

zenkick

Re: Push 3 Audio Outputs - Failed?

Post by zenkick » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:56 pm

Support has accepted that my issue is hardware related and routed me to the warranty department for resolution as of this afternoon.

Awaiting to hear from the warranty department presently.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:28 pm

Yesterday evening I received a shipping label to return my P3S for warranty replacement.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:59 pm

Overnight I received an order confirmation and shipping notice for my replacement ($0) Push 3.

My experience with support thus far was fairly rapid -- not as fast as my experience with the older Push from years ago, but considering the growth of Ableton over the years, very much satisfactory.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:05 pm

Glad they worked it out quickly!
Ableton Forum Moderator

IRN-DRU

Post by IRN-DRU » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:15 am

Deleted post

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:05 pm

My replacement arrived today. Fingers crossed it is without issue.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:52 am

My Push 3 standalone arrived yesterday - had all of less than 24 hours before it is now completely bricked.

Sound went from working, to distorted and then the pads stopped responding. Re-started several times and this didnt fix anything. Then switched to non-standalone / controller mode and sound was working ok this method. Re-started back to standalone, and then only was hearing a very faint sound, but not distorted. Re-started one final time and it has since then never switched back on. So it has two signs of life at the moment:
1. if i unplug the power and re-plug it advises i have 100% battery
2. if i hold the power button for about 15 secs, the green 'Save' light comes on.

The sound going quiet is very similar to what i noticed on mine before it bricked. glad to hear your support was quick - did you just raise a ticket via the website support? I had originally raised a ticket as i never received a trackign number, but never got a response after several days - but weirdly my Push arrived.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:54 pm

robleighton22 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:52 am
My Push 3 standalone arrived yesterday - had all of less than 24 hours before it is now completely bricked.

Sound went from working, to distorted and then the pads stopped responding. Re-started several times and this didnt fix anything. Then switched to non-standalone / controller mode and sound was working ok this method. Re-started back to standalone, and then only was hearing a very faint sound, but not distorted. Re-started one final time and it has since then never switched back on. So it has two signs of life at the moment:
1. if i unplug the power and re-plug it advises i have 100% battery
2. if i hold the power button for about 15 secs, the green 'Save' light comes on.

The sound going quiet is very similar to what i noticed on mine before it bricked. glad to hear your support was quick - did you just raise a ticket via the website support? I had originally raised a ticket as i never received a trackign number, but never got a response after several days - but weirdly my Push arrived.
Here's the link to Support.
I hope this is not what's happening to you, but it looks like what I was seeing with a previous unit where the power socket input (no idea if it's the correct term, I'm not taking about the PSU, but the part that receives power inside Push) failed.
Is it possible that your unit has been exposed to a power surge or something like that?
Ableton Forum Moderator

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:45 pm

All my other hardware is working fine connected to the same source I have a S2400 and a Korg Prologue.

I opened a support ticket yesterday but not looking forward to the wait. My ticket regards lack of tracking from the courier opened over a week ago is still open and never got answered.

My Push did power on this morning when I tried one of either 'Shift' + ' On' or 'User' + 'On'. I was able to get sound and shift to controller mode. But when I switched the unit off, it wouldn't power on again. And I couldn't repeat the above step to get it switching on. Had the latest OS, not beta installed. Nothing else plugged in other than power, and in this case, USB.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:22 pm

robleighton22 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:52 am
did you just raise a ticket via the website support?
I contacted support via email.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:12 am

As a followup...

My new unit arrived and I spent some time installing my packs and samples throughout the past day+ until I could take it to the studio for validation.

Well, from what I have determined tonight, there is an issue with the levels on the main outputs on the new unit.

There is ~ 6db of delta between the two outputs when using a single track project with only a stock Analog device setup with 2 sine waves.

I've sent follow-up to support, as well as a 9 minute troubleshooting video illustrating that this new issue occurs (1) with different cables; and (2) does not occur on the headphone output. Both outputs are using the same inputs on my mixer to show that my mixer/settings are not the cause. It also shows that neither the Push mixer, nor the Analog device, are attenuating either channel.

I'll keep this thread up to date as needed.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Support responded to my long video asking for a simpler test to rule out my equipment: Route Push's main outputs to its inputs and compare level.

This resulted in the same issue and a video was provided.

I'm awaiting the next steps.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:59 pm

With this second request, support is certainly 2-3x slower than the initial request which resulted in a replacement.

Update here is that Ableton confirmed that there is a defective amplifier in my replacement Push 3 Standalone.

I'm currently waiting on a shipping label to begin the return process. This will be my second replacement.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:23 pm

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the process and timing. It's probably good for other people waiting for support requests to see they aren't alone and what to expect.