Sync to video, urgently needed.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
diegux

Sync to video, urgently needed.

Post by diegux » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:45 pm

I use Live to score to picture on a daily basis, music and sound design. I love how fluent and creative the software makes me be, despite several major flaws when syncing to video.

Please , pretty please, with a cherry on top Ableton, can we have the following two features ASAP? Really hard to sync to picture without them:

1. LATENCY COMPENSATION FOR VIDEO. Pretty self explanatory, once you add plugins that have latency the video playback will be out of sync, making it impossible to work. The workaround is to add latency dependent plugins after the syncing is done. This is not a real workaround right? It is version 12. Video has been around forever, I think this is a major flaw and should be addressed urgently.

2.LOCKING CLIPS IN ARRANGEMENT VIEW TO ABSOLUTE SMPTE TIME. Also self explanatory, when you are working with video some clips need to be independent from the project's tempo (BPM). If you change the BPM, there should be an option to keep desired clips at an absolute SMPTE time. For example, you have an explosion sound syncing to a specific frame, if you need to try tempo changes in the music, that sound needs to stay in sync with the picture despite tempo changing.

Thanks a lot for your help and understanding, best.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Sync to video, urgently needed.

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 pm

diegux wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:45 pm
2.LOCKING CLIPS IN ARRANGEMENT VIEW TO ABSOLUTE SMPTE TIME. Also self explanatory, when you are working with video some clips need to be independent from the project's tempo (BPM). If you change the BPM, there should be an option to keep desired clips at an absolute SMPTE time. For example, you have an explosion sound syncing to a specific frame, if you need to try tempo changes in the music, that sound needs to stay in sync with the picture despite tempo changing.
This is related to something that's very much needed: a frame-based grid (and a way to switch between this and the regular beat grid).
Ableton Forum Moderator

Aeph

Re: Sync to video, urgently needed.

Post by Aeph » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:55 pm

:Bump:

Both features are essential to approach Ableton more professionally and I hope to finally have them featured on Ableton 12.