Live Looper - Visual Feedback Device.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
R.

Live Looper - Visual Feedback Device.

Post by R. » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:24 am

VST - Live Looper
Hardware - Faderfox PC12

Endgoal - I want the live looper's state to appear on the LED button of the Faderfox.

I am using the looper as a one button looper and trying to get visual feedback from it onto my PC12. The PC12 has a green button at the bottom with an LED next to it.

For those of you unfamiliar with the looper it has 4 'transport' control 1. Record 2. Over Dub 3. Play 4. Stop. These can be mapped separately or it has one big button used to control all states - click once to record, click again to play, click again to overdub, click twice to stop and click and hold to clear. It's important for me to retain this functionality.

I'd like for the LED to be lit/flashing when the looper is recording/playing/overdubbing. I'd also like it to be lit when there is a sample recorded into the looper (hence why i'd like to flash when it is playing/recording.) I'd like it to be off when the looper is blank.

I have set up the button on the PC12 so that it is in Toggle mode. It is sending a CC signal and the LED light is set to 'external' which means it feedsback information from Ableton.

In Ableton's MIDI settings I have track & remote mode on for both the IN & Out.

At the moment the light just turns on when I toggle the button - but I am trying to make it so that the LED is on when the looper is recording/playing/over dubbing and is off when the looper is paused.

Any suggestions or work arounds on a post card please :)

chapelier fou

Re: Live Looper - Visual Feedback Device.

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:50 am

I assume you're talking about Ableton Looper which is not a VST.
You can observe looper's state and then send MIDI messages depending on it. You'd have to use midi track output for this (as opposed to remote), or create a control surface.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

R.

Re: Live Looper - Visual Feedback Device.

Post by R. » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:07 pm

You are spot on it’s no VST - I’m glad you get what I’m trying to do though, and I’m even more happy I can find a fix.

Could you point me in the direction of the elements I would need to use so I can do some research? As you might already tell I am v inexperienced in max