Push 3 Standalone overheating

Discuss Push with other users.
vitaliistep

Push 3 Standalone overheating

Post by vitaliistep » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:56 pm

Hey guys,

The support is super busy right now, so I'll ask here. I think Push 3 Standalone is getting quite hot, if it's just put on a flat surface without creating a gap with somthing like a stand (I don't even talking about laying it on a cloth or other soft surface). What do you think, can it cause components overheating and overtime lead to failure eventually? Do I need a stand with a fan or you think the temperature is reasonable for this device? :)

Thanks,
Vitalii

Just_Pierre

Re: Push 3 Standalone overheating

Post by Just_Pierre » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:35 pm

Yes, the Push 3 Standalone can get warm up. But if you use a stand like this, it will help. Search for 'Amazon Basics Black Adjustable Ventilated Laptop Stand, 33 x 28.7 x 18.5 cm' on Amazon. I'm very happy with it.

vitaliistep

Post by vitaliistep » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:18 am

Just_Pierre wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:35 pm
Yes, the Push 3 Standalone can get warm up. But if you use a stand like this, it will help. Search for 'Amazon Basics Black Adjustable Ventilated Laptop Stand, 33 x 28.7 x 18.5 cm' on Amazon. I'm very happy with it.
Thanks, the stand is actully looking quite good, I will try it.

Straty

Post by Straty » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:03 pm

yes, mine the same, I use a laptop cooler stand, just search for a laptop cooler stand at your local or online shops. should be for big laptops, 17 inch. its good also because it tilts towards you.

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:32 pm

How serious is the heating? I have controller Push 3 but have bought an upgrade kit. It’s not installed and I might return it.

I wanted to use Push 3 standalone on my lap on the sofa. Will this get too hot?

CH7

Post by CH7 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:33 pm

I Upgraded to the standalone and was surprised on how iffy the cooling solution looks.

First, its uses thermal pads which are roughly 0.5 mm. The area where the processor resides has just that one screw close by to secure the back cover to the thermal pad. If its not tight, thermal contact could be an issue. The same for the heatsink which also has a thermal pad. I've chosen to put bead thermal paste on the thermal pad and daub some on the heatsink that way more of the back cover acts to radiate the heat. Also, make sure there are no air-pockets under the pads. The pads can lift when you open the push.

At least the heatsink is hot. meaning Its doing its job. The alternative could see the CPU thermo-throttling, slowing down when it gets too hot.

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:17 pm

I wonder if there is a better cooling solution available?

CH7

Post by CH7 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 am

ezilybored wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:17 pm
I wonder if there is a better cooling solution available?
Its just a matter of time before someone comes out with a variation of the heatsink. larger wider, copper with more surface area.

Then there's the latest tech, Piezoelectric coolers. These might also fit a future upgrade.
https://pages.boreas.ca/blog/piezo-hapt ... verheating

Wubzy22

Post by Wubzy22 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:46 am

CH7 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:33 pm
I Upgraded to the standalone and was surprised on how iffy the cooling solution looks.

First, its uses thermal pads which are roughly 0.5 mm. The area where the processor resides has just that one screw close by to secure the back cover to the thermal pad. If its not tight, thermal contact could be an issue. The same for the heatsink which also has a thermal pad. I've chosen to put bead thermal paste on the thermal pad and daub some on the heatsink that way more of the back cover acts to radiate the heat. Also, make sure there are no air-pockets under the pads. The pads can lift when you open the push.

At least the heatsink is hot. meaning Its doing its job. The alternative could see the CPU thermo-throttling, slowing down when it gets too hot.
I just upgraded my SSD and I damaged the CPU thermal
pad in the process of removing the back cover. It just came apart really. Can you explain more what you did? Did you remove the pad and just use paste? Did you replace the pad? If so which kind/spec should I get? You said 0.5 thick approx. Any help appreciated.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:18 pm

Wubzy22 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:46 am
CH7 wrote:

I just upgraded my SSD and I damaged the CPU thermal
pad in the process of removing the back cover. It just came apart really. Can you explain more what you did? Did you remove the pad and just use paste? Did you replace the pad? If so which kind/spec should I get? You said 0.5 thick approx. Any help is appreciated.
My thermal pad was intact but there were signs of air pockets underneath, so i just made sure to squish those. Then i daubed a 'bead' of regular computer thermal paste on top of the thermal pad just to make sure of full thermal contact with the lid. If you have damaged your thermal pad and you can't just smooth it out, then you'll have to seek a replacement. It appears to be 0.5mm you can get these in a variety of sizes. Amazon is a good source.

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

CH7 wrote:
My thermal pad was intact but there were signs of air pockets underneath, so i just made sure to squish those. Then i daubed a 'bead' of regular computer thermal paste on top of the thermal pad just to make sure of full thermal contact with the lid. If you have damaged your thermal pad and you can't just smooth it out, then you'll have to seek a replacement. It appears to be 0.5mm you can get these in a variety of sizes. Amazon is a good source.
Heya. Was wondering how much thermal paste you added. How big is a bead? I don’t want to add too much.

I have picked up the upgrade kit again and have some thermal paste. Did you just add it to the top of the pad, or the underneath too?

Also, does it make a mess, or damage the thermal pad if you open the Push 3 again?

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 am

Just actually watched the upgrade kit installation video. A better question is, do you add the thermal paste to the thermal pad that lives between the external heatsink and the case, or between the internal thermal pad and the case, or both?

Cheers

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:41 pm

ezilybored wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 am
Just actually watched the upgrade kit installation video. A better question is, do you add the thermal paste to the thermal pad that lives between the external heatsink and the case, or between the internal thermal pad and the case, or both?

Cheers
I added just a bead to both since this is about reinforcing thermal contact from the processing unit, to the case, to the heatsink.