Live 12 + Push 3 - Ableton's roadmap

Discuss Push with other users.
Fin Lux

Live 12 + Push 3 - Ableton's roadmap

Post by Fin Lux » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:21 pm

Ableton 12 will be released in 2024. What I would like to know is what is the upgrade/update schedule for Push 3?

I mean, if I only had a Push 3 standalone, what would happen in January? As I saw it, the new midi generators are exclusive to the Mac/Windows versions. I'm betting Meld and Roar will be included, but at the moment we have no information on how close the new Live features are to being implemented in Push 3.

I would love to see more Live features implemented in Push 3.

But this is the current status: Definitely more stable than in the beginning, but still missing essential things like saving and managing different templates, automation for backups, reordering tracks and syncing the Push to an external source (I've heard this works in the current beta).

I know, Ableton is trying to communicate in Apple-style: Only say, what will be released in 2-3 months. The price for the push is only appropriate, when you know where the journey is going to head…

dcjams

Re: Live 12 + Push 3 - Ableton's roadmap

Post by dcjams » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:19 pm

Why are these features ‘missing’ or even ‘essential’? Ableton have never said the full functionality of Live on desktop is the benchmark against which Push should be judged.

I’m not trolling or being contrary I just think it’s worth reframing one’s expectations to avoid disappointment. Being disappointed isn’t a great starting point for creativity. Making the best use of the available tools is a better place.

I think Ableton will only ever implement those features of Live that are consistent with their vision for Push. This might not match ours.

That said, I really hope they implement the MIDI generators too and there’s lots I’d like to see added in general. I don’t see them as missing, though.

Fin Lux

Post by Fin Lux » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:21 pm

I agree that Ableton never said feature X, Y, Z will be implemented.
Nobody ever said push 3 has to be exactly the same as Live.

Don’t get me wrong, but having templates on the push 3 standalone, but not being able to use them correctly (for me) is a flaw in the UX design.
As I play in a band, not being able to sync push 3 standalone to a midi clock, but being able to tick a mockup “Sync”- checkbox in the settings is (for me) a flaw in the UX design.

But that doesn’t mean its bad, it’s just not 100% there where Ableton + all customers would love to see the device. And as you said, you already can make amazing music with it.

I’m sure all this is on Abletons radar, but that’s not the point.

The point is: When I have a Push 3 standalone, and buy Live 12, what do I get? There is no information, nothing.
To use the Live Suite, I need a Live license. So what will change for Push 3 Standalone users?

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:04 am

Fin Lux wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:21 pm
I’m sure all this is on Abletons radar, but that’s not the point.

The point is: When I have a Push 3 standalone, and buy Live 12, what do I get? There is no information, nothing.
To use the Live Suite, I need a Live license. So what will change for Push 3 Standalone users?
I suspect we'll all know when Live 12 is officially released or closer to release.
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

elbows

Post by elbows » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:33 pm

As far as I know they've never really done public roadmaps, you only find out whats coming next when it reaches public beta stage (or private beta stage if you are given special access to private betas).

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:59 pm

elbows wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:33 pm
As far as I know they've never really done public roadmaps, you only find out whats coming next when it reaches public beta stage (or private beta stage if you are given special access to private betas).
This is true.

Cheers
D

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:24 pm

dcjams wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:19 pm
Ableton have never said the full functionality of Live on desktop is the benchmark against which Push should be judged.
Depending on how you want to put it...adding a "Standalone" to a former controller-only device makes people feel that this is it. Standalone. The big promise of a "Standalone" device is to get the opposite of a "joined"/"dependent"/ïncomplete" i.e. controller device -> to use the feature-set of the former non-standalone system independently of the computer which means ... well ... becoming Standalone. Especially if you also have to buy a full Live license which you then can't fully utilise standalone in some form or another. This might upset people. In the wake of a Live 12 release later there might be a backlash the closer Live 12 gets to release and people learning what they just paid for but won't be able to use. Now most companies don't release public roadmaps for many reasons. If Ableton is fully committed to their 3rd ecosystem (Mac, Win, Standalone) but they haven't achieved parity yet, then there should be a chart depicting which feature works in SO and which does not. At least that's my opinion. For me the Push 3 SO is just another device/groovebox I use in conjunction with Studio One, my synths and my MPCs. An expensive groovebox for that matter. But that means that I do not need some features people fully committed to Live as their main playground might want to see. Even though its a bummer I won't be able to use the new midi features with Push 3 SO and Live 12 as it seems.