Output Selection Issue (Bug?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Clint Goss

Output Selection Issue (Bug?)

Post by Clint Goss » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:34 pm

Newbie here, trying to simply select Stereo 1/2 for output. In the Output Config window, every time I try to select one output, it selects another output in parallel. Here's a video:

https://vimeo.com/891424467

Any ideas, suggestions, or explanations are appreciated!

-Clint Goss

Clint Goss

Re: Output Selection Issue (Bug?)

Post by Clint Goss » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:15 pm

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that my Live Set was already using Output 1/2 ... but the issue does not seem to be specific to 1/2 ... double activation of channels happens on other pairs of ports as well.

Clint Goss

Post by Clint Goss » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:23 am

So maybe substantially everyone uses at least two outputs (one for main out and one for cueing with metronome) that nobody had encountered this syndrome??

Clint Goss

Post by Clint Goss » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:35 pm

Tim wrote back from Ableton Support: "This is expected behavior, as Channels 1/2 are necessary for any other inputs to be activated."

... however, I just tried this, and I can select Ch 7/8 (both Mono and Stereo) without selecting either of the Ch 1/2 options, and it works ...

I have an image of this (sent to Ableton Support), but this forum will not allow me to either upload or attach the image, or insert a link to the image in my Dropbox cloud. Sigh.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:30 am

1 and 2 are typically default so you have 2 mono out... or a Stereo pair
7 or 7/8 would be 7 mono or 7/8 stereo, respectively. Most desktop type audio interfaces don’t have more than two outputs… unless you tweak headphone outputs, assuming the unit even lets you.

You can select which outs you want active in Settings in Live on the Audio tab under ‘Input Config’ and ‘Output Config’
There, you can disable Stereo for 7/8 and leave 7 mono and 8 mono active as 2 mono outs. As a beginner, I’m not sure what purpose you would need anything other than Outputs 1 and 2 active for. Maybe with Dolby 5.1 or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally I turn off all the input and output types I don’t use. So in my case, Stereo 1/2 and Mono 1&2 are active but the others are disabled. For inputs I have Mono 1&2 (XLR) and 3&4 (1/4”) active so I can use all 4 inputs on my RME Babyface interface for direct mono (mics, guitar, bass) inputs. I would enable 5&6 in Live if I wanted to use ADAT inputs or outputs

Maybe the answer to your question is that your interface outputs are set to stereo 1/2, which is typical. If you want to change that, you’d probably need to do it in the audio interface, not in Live

Clint Goss

Post by Clint Goss » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 am

Thanks @H2Only!

So I run a variety of Rig configurations for different venues and settings ... and I posted this more to report what appears (to me) to be a bug, or at least some very odd behavior.

When I go into the Output Config window and turn channels on and off, each selections seems to affect other channels. This can be seen in the video I posted (https://vimeo.com/891424467 ... can folks see that?)

I'm running (actually experimenting with running) Live alongside Cantabile on the same laptop. In Rig configurations where I feed the house out of RME XLR 1-2, TotalMix is acting as my mixer for Live+Cantabile. In larger Software+Hardware configurations I am sending Cantabile out XLR 1-2 and Live out TRS 3-4 on the Babyface. In also use a UCX II in settings with hardware loopers (I run parallel loopers with one keyboard player), and a UFX II in my home rig / video studio. In all these scenarios, I was thinking that I should have freedom to select what channels I would like, and not be forced to turn others on (and "waste resources" as Ableton warns, or accidentally output to unwanted channels).

Thanks for the feedback!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:09 am

Oh wow. The video helps make sense of what you’re saying. That’s definitely odd. I wouldn’t rule out TotalMix as partly responsible… What you’re doing is definitely out of my wheelhouse. Hope you get it sorted

Clint Goss

Post by Clint Goss » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:58 pm

Been going round 'n round with tech support.

Their next theory was "I've asked around and found out that it is normal that any mono pair of channels must be enabled in order to enable also a stereo pair. It apparently has been like this for a long, long time."

This also turned out the be incorrect, since I was able to select two stereo channels with no Mono channels selected.

And now just heard back from tech support:

"well, honestly, this story keeps getting stranger and stranger!
Perhaps this is simply a bug. I will file a bug report and let our developers know."

So ... it took 5 days, a video posted to Vimeo, 3 screenshots, and 7 round trip messages to tech support to report a simple bug.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:27 pm

Sounds like they spent a lot of time and effort to try and help you with your issue, hopefully this leads to resolving it for good.