How long am I supposed to hold down the on button to turn on my push 3?

Discuss Push with other users.
Ttalp

How long am I supposed to hold down the on button to turn on my push 3?

Post by Ttalp » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 pm

Ok hi :D . And yes you have read the question correctly. I haven't been able to find any reference to this in the start up guide and I just don't seem to get consistent behaviour. Compared to basically everything else I own with an on switch the push 3 is very difficult to turn on.

I know which button to press but when I press it quickly it does nothing. If I press and hold it after a while the save button lights up green.

Sometimes if I release then it will turn on but sometimes not.

I know it's slow to load so I try not to rush it but this means that getting the damn thing to start loading is a trial and error process that's taking me up to 15 minutes. The docs say hold for 3 seconds to shutdown so I've tried similar for booting but I'm not getting any clear pattern.

Basically I'm wondering if this impacts other people and what I should expect. It doesn't feel like it should be this hard :?

dcjams

Re: How long am I supposed to hold down the on button to turn on my push 3?

Post by dcjams » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 pm

Ttalp wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 pm
Ok hi :D . And yes you have read the question correctly. I haven't been able to find any reference to this in the start up guide and I just don't seem to get consistent behaviour. Compared to basically everything else I own with an on switch the push 3 is very difficult to turn on.

I know which button to press but when I press it quickly it does nothing. If I press and hold it after a while the save button lights up green.

Sometimes if I release then it will turn on but sometimes not.

I know it's slow to load so I try not to rush it but this means that getting the damn thing to start loading is a trial and error process that's taking me up to 15 minutes. The docs say hold for 3 seconds to shutdown so I've tried similar for booting but I'm not getting any clear pattern.

Basically I'm wondering if this impacts other people and what I should expect. It doesn't feel like it should be this hard :?
It's instant for me and the action of the button feels very definite. There's an audible click from the mechanism, like a tact switch. It behaves consistently.

Ttalp

Post by Ttalp » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:32 pm

Hi dcjams.

Thanks for the message. Quite embarrassingly I tried that and it worked first time. Tried again a little slower and it worked again 8O

I guess I'll keep and eye on it and hope it behaves consistently now I've learnt the not so secret technique :roll:

spbaker64

Post by spbaker64 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:11 am

hah, I love this! Same here, I start with holding it down, nothing happens so I do a quick click and the logo appears, I've never been sure if it was the first longer push or the second shorter push that pushed the push, but now I'll just go with the shorter push for the push. Thank you :D

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:58 am

Ttalp wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:32 pm
Hi dcjams.

Thanks for the message. Quite embarrassingly I tried that and it worked first time. Tried again a little slower and it worked again 8O

I guess I'll keep and eye on it and hope it behaves consistently now I've learnt the not so secret technique :roll:
Ha! Happy to hear it :)

Sometimes I find I carry over muscle memory from other devices and forget to adjust for new things.

'Buttons' often invite longer presses somehow, in a way that a 'switch' doesn't. Also anything that boots up feels a bit 'computer' or 'laptop' and they don't always start or wake on a single short press.