Best practice: MIDI and low Audio Recording

Discuss Push with other users.
xit7

Best practice: MIDI and low Audio Recording

Post by xit7 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:55 am

Hey all,

I would deeply appreciate if you could provide me with some best practices on the two main questions:
  • How to best keep external gear in sync via MIDI?
  • How to best record external gear with low latency?
I know, this is not the most exciting topic, at least for me. I wonder how people are able to keep heaps of synths in sync and even do live performances with most complicated setups, while I am running into problems ever since I plugged in the first physical synth into Ableton and now Push 3 standalone.

My approach so far:

MIDI
  • Use MIDI out on push
  • Go into quadra MIDI through to split signal into four
  • MIDI Gear: Novation Peak, SubHarmonicon, DFAM (DFAM gets trigger fro SubH)
  • Elektron Digitakt

With this setup I got it going okay-ish. But suddenly it ran out of sync and the metronome in Push clicked on Digitakt's downbeats, not upbeats. I had to restart Push to get it in sync again.
Recording
  • For each instrument I have two channels: Track1) ExtInst Midi Instrument, Track2) Audio Track
  • Track1 is set to send MIDI to certain channel and SEND Audio to Track2
  • Track2 is set to record audio coming from Track1
  • No effects

With this I find most of the time very recognisable latency in the recording :evil: . But my understanding is, that this (setup of the 2 channels) is the correct setup to record, isn't it? (At least that seedtostage video I once saw recommended this setup for Ableton Live). Also I perceive this as not very reliable and latency changes over time? (At least it is far from doing live performances.)
I really wonder, what your recommendations are. I found this all so unreliable, that I find myself most of the time fiddling around with setup/sync, than with creating music. How are others able to do this?

Would really appreciate you help :)

Thanks!
xit7

-- Addition Info
I use a focusrite 18i20 to record hardware, which goes via ADAT into Push 3 (channel selection in Push is buggy :oops: , but I got it to work). 44khz, tried 48khz as well, tried different buffer sizes.