Why doesn't the audio sync up with the transient?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CancerRidden

Why doesn't the audio sync up with the transient?

Post by CancerRidden » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:56 am

My audio and the transients are not linked together, it seems like there is a lag somewhere. Here's a video

https://youtu.be/SlULqh_kGKQ?si=7mrmDDO0X_X3uXvu

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Why doesn't the audio sync up with the transient?

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:25 am

This latency caused by a plugin. Some visuals parts of Live are not latency compensated...
Ableton Forum Moderator

CancerRidden

Post by CancerRidden » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:03 pm

How do you fix it?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:21 pm

You can remove plug ins until you find the one that is causing the visual latency.

CancerRidden

Post by CancerRidden » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 pm

So it's not related to CPU capability?

More like a plug-in bug?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm

It's not CPU related, nor a plugin bug.
Here's an article that will explain you what latency is.

But the short answer on how to avoid latency is to use Live devices rather than 3rd party plugins. Problem solved :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

antic604

Post by antic604 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm

CancerRidden wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 pm
So it's not related to CPU capability?

More like a plug-in bug?
Frankly, this is bad design on Ableton's part.

I'm not aware of any other DAW where GUI gets out of sync with audio engine as the project grows.

In general, I hear Live's PDC works poorly, compared to the direct competition and is often cited as one of the reasons people leave Live. It's pretty rude to offer not using 3rd party plugins as a "solution".

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:13 pm

The real reason is because the Clips and playing markers are INPUT, they show the input MIDI/audio way before any plugin delay.

Live shows the whole signal path CORRECTLY, the Clips/marker will start instantly and you can see in the meters before/after devices in the device chain in the bottom how the audio playing is playing instantly before an plugin with delay then the delayed audio output after the latency-inducing device/plugin.
♥♥♥

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:43 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
It's pretty rude to offer not using 3rd party plugins as a "solution".
Sorry, not my intention.

But the reality is, except for a very few specific plugins (e.g dynamic EQ, a good guitar amp, Kontakt for orchestral stuff) you don't really need 3rd party plugins. And there's not much 3rd party synths that can't be replicated with Live's/M4L instruments (but latency rarely - or never - comes from synths).
The video from the OP shows a set containing only 2 audio tracks; I doubt there's any processing in here that requires a 3rd party plugin instead of Live devices.
I know, plugins manufacturers' marketing can make those things incredibly tempting... but except for pretty GUIs and bullshit promises of "better sounding" that no one can actually hear, everyone's mostly just re-inventing the wheel all the time, flooding us with tons of useless copies of copies of copies.
This mostly creates a barrier toward creativity imo.
And on a very practical side, it can't be more future-proof than using Live/M4L devices. No worries about old sessions with no sound because you've changed your computer, or your OS, or the plugin devs still hasn't support your current OS, or the bugs they have to ignore and prioritize because users use 10 different DAWs on thousands different setups, graphic scaling etc... the list can go on.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this to excuse the fact that Live doesn't compensate visual stuff.
Ableton Forum Moderator

antic604

Post by antic604 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:07 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:43 am
antic604 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
It's pretty rude to offer not using 3rd party plugins as a "solution".
Sorry, not my intention.
You misunderstood me. I'm not against using native stuff. In fact, that's 95% of my music and if I can get away with 100% I do my best to get there, especially in Live, Bitwig or Reason.

I meant that Ableton apparently doesn't care to improve PDC and GUI sync in Live. Most people who moved from Live to Bitwig did this because of those exact reasons, which apparently are way better in Bitwig. So, advising to someone who's in this situation to not use 3rd party plugins smacks of fanboyism. The correct response should be "yeah, Ableton should fix this (looooooong time ago)".

Fingers crossed they will :)