MIDI Controller - Novation Impulse replacement

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
aod_

MIDI Controller - Novation Impulse replacement

Post by aod_ » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:01 pm

I’m considering replacing my MIDI controller keyboard, with a slight upgrade.

I currently have a Novation Impulse 49, which I actually really like – and although it’s not a particularly important feature, I love its design and the way it looks. But I also love the layout, button/fader sizes and it’s features.

I’d keep it, but sadly it let me down a little recently with a pitch bend fault, and is currently away for warranty repair, so I’m considering selling it once fixed.

Whilst it’s away, I’ve gone back to my M-Audio Oxygen 61 MKIV.

I actually quite like this as well, the key feel is nicer than I remember, and I actually might prefer it to the Novation’s Semi-Weighted keys. (I’m used to high-end Yamaha Synth key feel, but can’t find anything like this in my price range).

After much looking around, not a lot seems to have changed in the MIDI Controller Keyboard market since I bought my Novation in 2021.

I know the Impulse is a pretty old product (10+ years), but it still seemed a really good controller for the price just a few years ago.

Some of the alternatives I’ve been considering are:
  • M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49
  • Novation Launchkey 49 MK3
  • A used Akai Professional MPK 49
Also looked at but not so sure about:
  • Nektar Impact LX49+
  • Samson Graphite 49
I would estimate most of these are more of a sidestep rather than an upgrade to my Impulse, apart from perhaps the Akai – hence a used one, as they’re about £400 new.

I was going to budget around £230, given I paid £167 for my Impulse in 2021. I’ve seen them for around £220+, which I guess means I got a bargain, or it’s way overpriced.

I really like the look and features of the Akai, and I have a feeling the keybed will be a little more to my liking than the others.

The Launchkey is probably the more direct replacement for my Impulse, and I like it’s features, although the little tiny screen puts me off somewhat.

The Oxygen Pro seems like a good allrounder, but not sure If I like it more than the other two.

What are your thoughts on these keyboards vs the Impulse?

Should I stick with what I have, or change to something else?

Calagan

Re: MIDI Controller - Novation Impulse replacement

Post by Calagan » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:08 pm

Samson graphite 49 would be a step back.
The key feel is inconsistent and it’s difficult to play the good velocity.
The build quality is not that great also.
It has nice features though…
(I own both the impulse and the Samson)