Device Slots

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bkruppik

Device Slots

Post by bkruppik » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:43 am

Any ideas if ABLETON is planning to add more slots in the device settings. I have 5 (out of 6) already taken. I was planning to add Elgato controller but just saw the Vid on the setup and it takes 2 slots, so basically I cannot do this (unless there is some other solution). I remember that people keeps asking for more slots since (I guess) version 5.... and I do not see improvement.
Any thoughts on that ?

S4racen

Re: Device Slots

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:16 pm

Push 3 doesn't take one of them now so thats a small relief.

Cheers
D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:53 pm

S4racen wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:16 pm
Push 3 doesn't take one of them now so thats a small relief.

Cheers
D
It's not something I need myself, but have you guys at Isotonik considered making a controller aggregator in Python?
So a user could for instance load the script "IsotonikAggregator" and that handles stacking of certain well known controllers.

It's been a while since I delved into the scripts, so obviously they have all changed but if I was making it I'd probably initially focus on integrating Novation scripts - so that if a user owned a Launchpad version and a Launchcontrol XL (as a common example) and perhaps a Launchkey - they would become one script. Probably with mapping set via text prefs, which can be updated by an applet.

Alternatively of course it could be done with the MaxForLive controlsurface but that would be a lumpier route, with a specific Max mapping device UI needed in each set.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am

That sort of thing gets into the "Very complicated - Niche request" area unfortunately, wouldn't be worth the development cost for the return on sales I'm afraid.

Cheers
D

bkruppik

Post by bkruppik » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:57 pm

Well, many people like me, who use several devices and keyboards will quit ABLETON to move over to another DAW which has not limitation. Studio One has this problem solved easily. It should not be really a big of the deal to add unlimited number of MIDI slots. Instyead of using static for and 6 database fields in one record they would use entire SQL table with multiple records. This is even more problematic, when new devices require more than 1 slot. For example KOMPLTETE KONTROL. STREAM DECK, NOVATION Launch etc....

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:24 am

I'm sure Ableton has factored in the many people that need this and made a decision based on the figures involved.

Not everything is easy to add just because another DAW does it, go and use that DAW and enjoy yourself making music would be the best bet.

Cheers
D