ADAT extension

Discuss Push with other users.
thms rthmr

ADAT extension

Post by thms rthmr » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:02 pm

I got an behringer U-Phoria UMC 1820 and my PUSH3.
Can i extpand the in and out´s of Push 3 with ADAT with this interface?

and when yes, how? Step by Step.

i already tried it, but it don´t work. I can´t get an Signal at Standalone and in Control Mode. The interface is already getting Signals (Guitar or Mic)
ADAT is conected and i can already select the ADAT mode at the Ableton Push Controle Panel, but i can´t get any signal over it.

Thank you Guy´s in advance.
╔════════╗
ENJOY . MUSIC
╚════════╝

silentio246

Re: ADAT extension

Post by silentio246 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 am

This will not work in. The UMC 1820 is an USB-audio-interface, which will only work, when connected to a computer. For expanding the Push3 adat in/out you need a standalone adat interface like for example this: https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_ada ... ragain.htm
But if you are willing to connect the UMC 1820 to a computer with a DAW, then you can connect it via adat with Push3.

thms rthmr

Post by thms rthmr » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:09 pm

Ok. Thanks mate.
Do you think it will work with the audient evo sp 8?
╔════════╗
ENJOY . MUSIC
╚════════╝

silentio246

Post by silentio246 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:56 am

Yes, this should work.

thms rthmr

Post by thms rthmr » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:38 pm

Ok. Thanks.
╔════════╗
ENJOY . MUSIC
╚════════╝

beatswilsonian

Post by beatswilsonian » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:43 pm

silentio246 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 am
This will not work in. The UMC 1820 is an USB-audio-interface, which will only work, when connected to a computer. For expanding the Push3 adat in/out you need a standalone adat interface like for example this: https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_ada ... ragain.htm
But if you are willing to connect the UMC 1820 to a computer with a DAW, then you can connect it via adat with Push3.
This isn't correct. Speaking from the perspective of a different interface that is not standalone but has ADAT (ie, Apogee Element), it works in standalone mode as long as the interface is powered by your computer. You just have to set the correct channels as inputs and outputs according to your interface and then the Push as well. Read the manuals of both about ADAT/optical ports and channels.

silentio246

Post by silentio246 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:00 am

That`s interesting. Then, the Apogee Element is an exception. Although I would welcome it, I think, most USB-audiointerfaces cannot work in standalone, as for example RME Digiface USB, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, and the UMC 1820:
https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/behringer ... 20-test/3/
Scroll down to:
Leider habe ich das
Gerät nach dem Test wieder zurückschicken müssen, so
dass ich nicht nochmal ausprobieren kann, ob das
Interface nicht doch zufällig die Analogeingänge per
default an den ADAT-Ausgang schickt. Ich habe den
BEHRINGER-Support angeschrieben. Sobald sie
geantwortet haben reiche ich die Info hier nach.6.9.2016: Hier die Antwort des Behringer Supports:
"...No the UMC1820 will not work this way. You need to run it with a DAW in order to route the Analog into through the converter and then onto the ADAT out. No way to do this without DAW routing...."

The driver software has to be loaded by the OS and the routing is done with a DAW (in case of RME Totalmix).
The UMC 1820 manual says nothing about standalone.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:07 am

silentio246 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:00 am
That`s interesting. Then, the Apogee Element is an exception. Although I would welcome it, I think, most USB-audiointerfaces cannot work in standalone, as for example RME Digiface USB, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, and the UMC 1820:
https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/behringer ... 20-test/3/
Scroll down to:
Leider habe ich das
Gerät nach dem Test wieder zurückschicken müssen, so
dass ich nicht nochmal ausprobieren kann, ob das
Interface nicht doch zufällig die Analogeingänge per
default an den ADAT-Ausgang schickt. Ich habe den
BEHRINGER-Support angeschrieben. Sobald sie
geantwortet haben reiche ich die Info hier nach.6.9.2016: Hier die Antwort des Behringer Supports:
"...No the UMC1820 will not work this way. You need to run it with a DAW in order to route the Analog into through the converter and then onto the ADAT out. No way to do this without DAW routing...."

The driver software has to be loaded by the OS and the routing is done with a DAW (in case of RME Totalmix).
unless I'm misunderstanding (or the Push works fundamentally differently with the DAW than other interfaces), the UMC isn't being used 'standalone' in the OP's scenario. the Push 3 is the interface that talks to the DAW. the UMC is an ADAT expander attached to the Push 3. this is basically how every ADAT expansion connection works, AFAIK.

I use a Focusrite 18i20 with a MOTU 8Pre as an optical expansion. once it's set up, the MOTU doesn't talk to the computer directly. analog>>MOTU>>[adat]>>Focusrite>>PC/DAW

the comment from that forum is technically correct (you need to route something to the DAW using an interface), but maybe a bit murky in what it's trying to get at. the Push is the interface being routed directly to the DAW, not the UMC.

as for the OP's question--how? as beatswilsonian said, best place to start is to dive into the manuals of the UMC and Push 3, which should have instructions for how to set that up. unfortunately, in my experience, some companies can have pretty poor documentation, so maybe youtube or other forums might help, if some of that isn't getting you there.

beatswilsonian

Post by beatswilsonian » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:53 pm

silentio246 wrote:
Then, the Apogee Element is an exception. Although I would welcome it, I think, most USB-audiointerfaces cannot work in standalone, as for example RME Digiface USB, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, and the UMC 1820:
Not trying to be rude, but I just didn't want OP to feel like they need to go out and buy a new interface that operates as standalone haha. But as far as ADAT expansion, it really has nothing to do with the interface's standalone capability. It's a nice feature... then you don't need your computer connected. But it's not what is stopping OP from using that interface as they intend.

Quick glance at the UMC1820 manual - it seems like your ADAT channels range from 11-20 (input and output have different ranges). P3 uses channels 9-16. So you just need to set up your input and output cables correctly and set the corresponding channels appropriately. How easily this works on that interface? I have no idea. Apogee has "control" software that lets you see the Optical channels (not that this is even necessary, but it's helpful), which then have to be used by P3 in the Track Mix Mode settings.

It should be possible. Even if you can't find proper documentation, I would experiment with those overlapping ranges (ie, channels 11-16) in Track Mix Mode once your have your optical cables plugged in. Good luck!

silentio246

Post by silentio246 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:11 am

beatswilsonian wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:53 pm
silentio246 wrote:
Then, the Apogee Element is an exception. Although I would welcome it, I think, most USB-audiointerfaces cannot work in standalone, as for example RME Digiface USB, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, and the UMC 1820:
Not trying to be rude, but I just didn't want OP to feel like they need to go out and buy a new interface that operates as standalone haha. But as far as ADAT expansion, it really has nothing to do with the interface's standalone capability. It's a nice feature... then you don't need your computer connected. But it's not what is stopping OP from using that interface as they intend.

Quick glance at the UMC1820 manual - it seems like your ADAT channels range from 11-20 (input and output have different ranges). P3 uses channels 9-16. So you just need to set up your input and output cables correctly and set the corresponding channels appropriately. How easily this works on that interface? I have no idea. Apogee has "control" software that lets you see the Optical channels (not that this is even necessary, but it's helpful), which then have to be used by P3 in the Track Mix Mode settings.

It should be possible. Even if you can't find proper documentation, I would experiment with those overlapping ranges (ie, channels 11-16) in Track Mix Mode once your have your optical cables plugged in. Good luck!
I always thought, there is a clear difference between ADAT expansions and USB-audiointerfaces with ADAT connectors. The first ones work standalone, the second only with computer. Obviously there are some USB-audiointerfaces with ADAT, which could work as ADAT expansion, when not connected to a computer. That is good.
But it seems, this feature is only available for more expensive interfaces (ie, Apogee Element).
Of course you should experiment, but I´m afraid it will not work with the UMC 1820 (as BEHRINGER support already said).
I would still like to know, if the OP is successful or not.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:11 pm

any device that works as an ADAT expander—even one that’s also an audio interface—should work without any regard to what the device it’s expanding is plugged into.

the interface (not the expander) is what needs to be connected to the computer/recording medium. the expander does not talk to the DAW/computer directly. unless I misunderstand (very possible), I don’t think the statement that this is only true on higher end products makes sense.

what even would be the use case for having a device that doubles as an ADAT expander, but also requires you to connect to the PC? you connect both your interfaces to the PC, AND connect them to each other via the ADAT connection—to what end? at that point, you’re just using two interfaces, as opposed to one (with an expansion). and that gets pretty tricky, especially on a Windows machine, since it would require some kind of aggregation (possible via ASIO4ALL, I think, but not necessarily very stable).

to that initial point, there IS a clear distinction between a dedicated ADAT expander and an audio interface that also can act as an expander. the former requires it to be plugged into some other type of interface to do anything. the latter doesn’t, because it is an interface.

beatswilsonian

Post by beatswilsonian » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:54 pm

silentio246 wrote:

Of course you should experiment, but I´m afraid it will not work with the UMC 1820 (as BEHRINGER support already said).
I would still like to know, if the OP is successful or not.
As I interpret this (I could be wrong), you don't have any type of "control" software a la TotalMix or Apogee Control, and that the routing of analog signals needs to be done in a DAW instead. I believe that means that OP will just have to have a DAW open to route the signal to the channels they want. I would also assume that this could add latency being that it's not done in a direct monitoring situation, but I don't think they're saying it's not possible at all, just that it's not possible in whatever way was being asked. Also not sure what os the OP uses, but i'm sure there's other software or utilities out there that will route the signals differently.

I'll be interested in the followup as well at this point haha.