Live session hangs on opening when using lots of video files

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mattrobertson

Live session hangs on opening when using lots of video files

Post by mattrobertson » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:19 pm

hi all!
Im having an issue with a large playback session which contains about 40 or so video files that are used for AutoCue.
I have been running this session for 2 years with no issue, but since I upgraded one machine to Sonoma, I can no longer run the session.
It seems to be related to the 'amount' of video in the session. Here are the steps I've taken
- open existing session with all video - works fine
- SAVE existing session and re-open - hangs on opening, sometimes you can see the "buffering samples" progress bar in the bottom left and it gets stuck about half way through
- Problem does not exist in Ventura

So it only seems to break it if I open / save / re-open.

I'm running 11.2 as this (IMO) still seems the fastest most reliable version for large playback sessions. But, I have tried the same process with the latest 11.3.13 and get the same behaviour.

I also tried re-converting all the video files to a different format to see if there was something up with the (now 2 years old) video format I was using, but get the same behaviour.

Also tried copying all files to a different HD to run it from that, but still get same issue.

So.... as far as I can tell, something happened in Sonoma to make this break? I dont know... seems to work fine in Ventura.

I would love any insight anyone has!

MacBook Pro M1 / 64gig Ram / 4TB HD / Sonoma 14.2.1 / Live 11.2 (and 11.3.13)

Many thanks!

Matt