Deleted VST and VST3 Folders on Mac, Now Ableton Keeps Freezing When I try to save

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deprime2014

Deleted VST and VST3 Folders on Mac, Now Ableton Keeps Freezing When I try to save

Post by deprime2014 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:27 am

Hi all

I'm running Live 11 on a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro and Sonoma 14.1.1. Because I only use the Audio Units versions of plugins, I decided to delete my VST and VST3 folders (the VST3 folder was taking up like 11GB). But because I was making space for something I was about to install, I cleared the trash immediately. I know this is all pretty reckless. But we're past that.

Since then, Ableton has been crashing almost every time I save a project. What I mean is that I get the spinning wheel, which only spins when I move my cursor, and then I right click the Ableton icon in the dock, and it says "Application not responding," so I force quit it. I'm inclined to believe it's the missing VST/3 versions of my plugins that's causing this freezing upon attempting to save, but it happened even when I only had Vital open, which I don't have the VST file for. I thought maybe the buffer size was the problem, so I increased it, but then Ableton froze again as I closed out of preferences.

Would reading Ableton crash logs be helpful even though it's really just freezing (followed by me force quitting?) Or if not, is there any other way to get an idea of what's going on? Any advice is hugely appreciated. Ableton seems to be slower/choppier in literally every way now.

Machinesworking

Re: Deleted VST and VST3 Folders on Mac, Now Ableton Keeps Freezing When I try to save

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:17 pm

Have to ask, did you delete the contents of the folder or the VST folder themselves? Live should be fine with you deleting all the VST plugins in the VST foider, Live will not be fine with you deleting the VST folder itself, it's a system folder and should not be deleted.

deprime2014

Re: Deleted VST and VST3 Folders on Mac, Now Ableton Keeps Freezing When I try to save

Post by deprime2014 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:55 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:17 pm
Have to ask, did you delete the contents of the folder or the VST folder themselves? Live should be fine with you deleting all the VST plugins in the VST foider, Live will not be fine with you deleting the VST folder itself, it's a system folder and should not be deleted.
I deleted the folder -_- didn't realize it was a system folder

deprime2014

Post by deprime2014 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:58 pm

H20nly wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:04 am
Try this:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... eset-Live-
Thank you for this, I'm going to wait until Ableton replies to my support ticket just in case they need something from this, but I will if they can't help

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:33 pm

deprime2014 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:55 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
You might have to reinstall Mac OS, that's what your issue is, and it's not on Ableton at all.
Time Machine? you using it?

deprime2014

Post by deprime2014 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:33 pm
deprime2014 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
You might have to reinstall Mac OS, that's what your issue is, and it's not on Ableton at all.
Reinstall MacOS because of the VST folder thing? It made a new folder once I reinstalled a few of the plugins.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 pm

deprime2014 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
deprime2014 wrote:

Reinstall MacOS because of the VST folder thing? It made a new folder once I reinstalled a few of the plugins.
Oh cool, that's great that it did. Do the same with VST3, then test your setup again. The other thing is to delete Ableton preferences in user/Library/Preferences I just put them on the desktop usually in case it doesn't help or causes more problems. Preference files are created by Live, so if one of the preference setting is stuck thinking there is no VST3 folder etc. it can get corrupted.

deprime2014

Post by deprime2014 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 pm
deprime2014 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm
Machinesworking wrote:

Oh cool, that's great that it did. Do the same with VST3, then test your setup again. The other thing is to delete Ableton preferences in user/Library/Preferences I just put them on the desktop usually in case it doesn't help or causes more problems. Preference files are created by Live, so if one of the preference setting is stuck thinking there is no VST3 folder etc. it can get corrupted.
Okay, thank you for this. I did this, but I think it might still be the OS? Because since I made the post, I've been experiencing input lag in Ableton (and to a lesser extent, my computer in general). For example, when highlighting a MIDI note or playing a note on my controller, the sound of the note plays about half a second after the input is registered. When playing back a clip, the playhead is completely misaligned with what is actually playing at any given moment, and starting/stopping playback is similarly delayed.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:19 am

deprime2014 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 am
Okay, thank you for this. I did this, but I think it might still be the OS? Because since I made the post, I've been experiencing input lag in Ableton (and to a lesser extent, my computer in general). For example, when highlighting a MIDI note or playing a note on my controller, the sound of the note plays about half a second after the input is registered. When playing back a clip, the playhead is completely misaligned with what is actually playing at any given moment, and starting/stopping playback is similarly delayed.
Yeah that's a whole new issue, what's your audio interface? Check for the latest drivers, same with all third party plugins. I'm on Sonoma and it's working fine here, have you installed the latest updates to Sonoma? Earlier versions of Sonoma and a few plugins caused some glitches etc.

One other check, since you deleted system folders in the Audio folder etc. What I do is create three folders in the Audio/Plugins folder: VST Disabled, AU Disabled, and VST3 Disabled. You can then pull all of your plugins out of their regular folders into these, and Live will not see them, so you can determine fairly quickly if it's a plugin issue or not.