I thought Ableton Suite comes with a full license of Max?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
dcjams

I thought Ableton Suite comes with a full license of Max?

Post by dcjams » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:42 pm

Hello

I was editing a patch and suddenly Max says it's in demo mode and I can't save anything. I registered on the Cycling site, downloaded the latest version and now it's saying I'm on a trial with 29 days remaining.

I own Ableton Live 11 Suite. I thought that came with a full license of Max?

Jim

ecuk

Re: I thought Ableton Suite comes with a full license of Max?

Post by ecuk » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:48 pm

To use standalone Max (as opposed to M4L) you also need a crossgrade license: https://cycling74.com/products/crossgrade.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:54 pm

ecuk wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:48 pm
To use standalone Max (as opposed to M4L) you also need a crossgrade license: https://cycling74.com/products/crossgrade.
Ah okay, thanks ... I pressed a lot of buttons ... kind of forgot what I did.

I think I had the same problem editing a patch from within Live ... maybe not.

Let's try it the other way around :)

I want to experiment with node.js and Max (day job is front-end dev). I followed a tutorial that said create a project in Max. The option to export as a Max for Live device was greyed out, that's what led me to think I didn't have a license.

So to do the above, do I need the standalone version/license?

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:35 pm

Honest truth, I don’t know whether or not you need a full Max license to use Node for Max. I have a full license and never really have to think about it.

I’ve also never played with Node for Max (despite having done plenty of unrelated Node things some years ago). The built-in [js] object, based on a now-ancient version of JavaScript, is generally sufficient for everything I do in Max.

Hopefully someone else knows more. You might also want to ask on the Cycling ’74 forums, where knowledge of Max and M4L is sometimes greater.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:45 pm

ecuk wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:35 pm
Honest truth, I don’t know whether or not you need a full Max license to use Node for Max. I have a full license and never really have to think about it.

I’ve also never played with Node for Max (despite having done plenty of unrelated Node things some years ago). The built-in [js] object, based on a now-ancient version of JavaScript, is generally sufficient for everything I do in Max.

Hopefully someone else knows more. You might also want to ask on the Cycling ’74 forums, where knowledge of Max and M4L is sometimes greater.
No that's cool, you've been helpful thanks!

I can't see a way to link to a the js file or get the project view if you edit via Live so I'm guessing the answer is yes I need the crossgrade license.

Yeah really I'm just looking for a way to use more modern JavaScript.

My curiosity was piqued because the latest Push 3 beta runs Max devices that rely on node js in standalone mode. Node js gives file system access and other crazy stuff.