Organizing a project with multiple mixes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
MonoTeksist

Organizing a project with multiple mixes

Post by MonoTeksist » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:43 am

How does one go about that?
I have a project from which I'll be making 3 different mixes:
- a live mix that I recorded with an outside app that I'm intending to make an arrangement out of
- a "studio" mix which sounds too different not to make another mix out of (and that I don't want to throw away since I like it too much)
- a mix, similar to the studio one but with some vocals added, the type of which will make the mix not get accepted by most music websites any more (dark web upload?)

Can one create a <main project name> folder and then create subfolders inside it for the different mixes?
I'd like all of the project's samples put in one folder: can one do that without creating a subfolder for each mix?
Or will Live always look for the samples in the <main project name>\Samples folder and I'll just have to put all 3 mixes' .als files in that one main folder?
That'd work but it'd get a bit messy since I keep quite a lot of previous versions (since I don't trust Live's backup function which sometimes doesn't create a backup after 40' of editing a song).

How do any one of you do this?
Thank you.

braduro

Re: Organizing a project with multiple mixes

Post by braduro » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:02 pm

I'm participating here, not because I'm any wiser but because you ask an interesting and important question.
As it stands, it's much easier to create parent-offspring projects, but a bit trickier to setup sibling projects.
One thing I'll say is that I don't see the merit in making this more difficult than the immediate solution available, which would lead me to take a "Final Mix Version" of the project, and then "Save As" three times for each release, reOpening that project each time to save from.

If it's just a matter of bouncing down three times from a final cut, well you could just Save As, as you go, thinking about which of these three masters embellishes upon the last, and do them in that order. Looks like you listed them in order.

You don't necessarily want sub folders. You just want different session files referencing the same material, all collected and saved to that Project folder, (if Collect All is important to you. My library is pretty reliable, and so I don't necessarily collect all and save, moving a copy of m4l devices, and referenced samples from a drum kit, for example.)