Extend the Upgrade Discount to after release.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Extend the Upgrade Discount to after release.

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:41 pm

Not complicated. Ableton offer a decent discount on upgrades, only if you buy before you have a chance to use the software, unless you want to provide free QA to them in the beta, and are lucky enough to get in the beta.

I was in the Live 8 beta when everyone else was talking about how great it was, and I was not. I got lucky and didn't upgrade for a year or so, until 8 was stable. I don't think it's a fair game to play to make people pay more for being able to test the final release with the demo. It's my least favorite Ableton marketing IMO screw up. Extend the discount to a month or two weeks past release and let customers test the final release on their systems without being punished for waiting to test.

Tarekith

Re: Extend the Upgrade Discount to after release.

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:01 pm

I'm pretty sure the beta will open up to everyone before it gets released, so you should still get the option to try before you buy FWIW.

Machinesworking

Re: Extend the Upgrade Discount to after release.

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:14 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:01 pm
I'm pretty sure the beta will open up to everyone before it gets released, so you should still get the option to try before you buy FWIW.
Hope you're right on that. The wording pretty much says the price is good until release, and no mention of an open beta. I do seem to recall times when that's how it worked? For what it's worth I emailed them my concerns as well, this isn't as much a "feature request" as a policy request.