Push 3 wiggles, jiggles & rambles :-(

Discuss Push with other users.
r.5

Push 3 wiggles, jiggles & rambles :-(

Post by r.5 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:42 pm

Did anyone experienced that his Push 3 wiggles & jiggles and then rambles a little bit when pushing buttons?

I bought my Push 3 late last year and mainly used it in my coach to learn how to navigate it properly but more recently I tried to integrate it into my studio and noticed the Push was not perfectly stable on my desk. When pushing the buttons (in my case either top-right or bottom-left), the whole Push 3 casing is moving a few millimeters up and down and the rambles on my desk with a knocking noise.

I first thought it might have been my desk which is no longer perfectly flat and horizontal but I tried out several desks... Every time my Push behaved the same. Then I tried my MPC on the same desk... No wiggle, jiggle or rambling with the MPC!

Is this like a one-off production issue? Do I have one from a bad batch "made on a Monday morning"? Or is this more widespread?

Ableton claims the Push 3 is expensive but it's a platform made to last a long time and the sustainability factor made me decide to invest in it but... so far my MPC seems to be better build and costed only half as much.

Would you mind sharing your experience in wiggling, jiggling & rambling Push 3's?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Push 3 wiggles, jiggles & rambles :-(

Post by [jur] » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:42 pm

It's definitely not a widespread issue.
You might want to contact Support and see how they can help.
Ableton Forum Moderator

r.5

Post by r.5 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I just logged a Support Case as you suggested.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using and updating/upgrading Ableton products for quite some time now, ever since I attended a Ableton course and converted after many years of Logic... I believe Ableton makes some great products and probably will continue doing so. The sustainability aspect of Push 3 really made me decide to invest in this platform which we can extend/update in the coming years... but I was a bit disappointed with the build quality for 2000€.

I'm happy to hear this is not a widespread issue and might just be my specific device. Let's hope they can fix it... Keep you posted here!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:51 pm

r.5 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:14 pm
Keep you posted here!
Please do, thx!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:38 pm

If it’s just the case not sitting flat on a table, I’ve unfortunately had that with a lot of gear. From Elektron to Roland. It’s usually a very simple fix to slightly bend the unit a tiny bit to fix though. Normally I figure out which two corners are too high, and then place the other two diagonal corners on the edge of a table. Now VERY gently push down on the two corners that were wobbling, just a tiny bit with VERY light force is all that’s needed usually to align everything properly. See pic:

r.5

Post by r.5 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion... It's not the desk. I checked on multiple desks/tables and with various gear.

I once did something similar with a 7 year old dishwasher (still worth around 100€) where the door no longer closed perfectly and the engineer charged more than it was worth for even showing up... and he would probably charge more to replace the broken door than it would cost to buy a new dishwasher...

But I'm not going to do that on a brand new 2000€ instrument that is still under warranty (and probably void the warranty by doing so and publishing it here :-)) And the Push feels like it is made out of "heavy metal" filled with concrete...

It would have been a very easy Quality Check (you'd only need a straight desk and a finger). They manufacturer could have done it anywhere in the production process or at least before packaging it....

I also had this once with Elektron as well but that was another decade or two, when they were still a small startup company probably building most of it themselves from their garage :-) Yet, they promptly apologized for the inconvenience, send me a brand new unit with some merchandise to sweeten the pain, all at their expense. And decades later, I'm still an happy Elektron user and customer...

But I'm happy to hear the issue is not systemic and I'm so far the only customer with a bend casing...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:45 pm

I didn't say it was the desk. Sometimes during assembly the hardware gets ever so slightly misaligned, this can fix it.

henrik_f

Post by henrik_f » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 am

Hi, could be so kind as to share what happened, how your case was handled and hopefully solved?

Received my new Push 3 unit a week ago with the same issue, albeit in the other diagonal. After some back and forth with customer support and me sending videos and pictures, I have now been instructed by Ableton to perform the exact desk edge bending technique suggested...

Thanks