Ableton Live and Axe Fx 2 : looper synch problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
johnclark

Ableton Live and Axe Fx 2 : looper synch problem

Post by johnclark » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:18 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with synchronizing the looper of my Axe Fx 2 to ableton live. I've programmed the rec/and play of the looper with empty midi clips in ableton live sending Control Changes to Axe Fx 2 so I have nothing to do with my feet.
You can see how I've done that on the screenshot below.

Most of the time it works fine and it is really handy BUT some times (randomly) it doesn't and it's really turning the result as a big mess even if the offset of the looped playback is small (like 1/8 or even 1/16). It seems that the midi is sent in the right time to the Axe Fx 2 (I can see it on my iconnectivity MioXL which handle all the midi datas between Ableton Live and synched hardware (axe fx2 and other synths)).
More weird : sometimes the offset is appearing in the second part of my track whereas it was ok at the begining which drives me crazy (for instance on the track on the screenshot, the loop in R1 section is ok but the R2 loop is not and if I stop ableton, start again before R1 it will do the same. And when I reopen the project everything is fine again.

Would it be better to send midi clock from Ableton Live to Axe Fx 2 ? How can I do that ? Do you think that changing the scene of a preset on the axe fx at the same time than rec/play a loop could be a problem ? Should I use different midi channels for scenes changing info and looping info ? Is having the Axe Edit open while sending midi to the Axe Fx2 could mess with the synchronisation of the looper ?

Thank you

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/attachme ... ng.134396/