How future-proof are Max for Live devices?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
distantnoise

How future-proof are Max for Live devices?

Post by distantnoise » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11 am

Although I bought a couple of Max for Live devices, I still hesitate to go too far with buying commercial Max for Live devices. I'm concerned that they will become unusable after a while—for example, when a developer stops developing and Max/MSP gets updated. How reliable is the backward compatibility of Max/MSP? Will a newly purchased Max for Live device work for years, even without updates?

Thanks for help.

Tarekith

Re: How future-proof are Max for Live devices?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:24 pm

It will depend greatly on the device and the developer unfortunately. There are a LOT of devices that do not work with Push 3 standalone for instance.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:14 pm

Probably not the answer you want to read, but personally I use my own devices ONLY because I know how to fix them if needed. Even the stock devices are usually buggy…
But it takes years to be confident with Max patching.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 pm

Max the basis of MaxforLive is generally amazing when I comes to not breaking things with updates as they strive to achieve backwards compatibility.

The challenge is when devices themselves use externals written by the developers themselves.

With these days and the use of Gen and JS within devices much more is achievable than once would've been.

In over 11 years of running Isotonik we've had three developers effectively retire, only one device from one of them was effected by the updates to Live 11.

Cheers
D

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:42 pm

Check this Cycling74 articles and .pdf
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:22 am

Most older devices I downloaded from maxforlive.com work just fine, with very few exceptions (basically only Kapetan's MK16-185 Sequencer 1.5, and its older 1.0.1 actually still works just fine, just the 1.5 version has GUI problems).

Ancient devices like the Pluggo ones have been working fine for almost 20 years.

Ancient Max MSP tutorials still work just fine in current Max MSP with no adaptations needed, Live itself had much more tutorial-breaking changes than Max For Live.
♥♥♥