Possible to slice to midi track?

Discuss Push with other users.
djenzyme

Possible to slice to midi track?

Post by djenzyme » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:57 pm

I can’t find a way to slice a sample to a midi track so the slices are laid out as midi notes. It’s like a 1 second job in Live, but I can’t figure out how to do it on Push3 SA.

It’s such a basic feature, please tell me there’s a way to do it! :?:

Edit: I don’t mean the convert drums to midi option, I’m looking for something a lot more basic than that.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Possible to slice to midi track?

Post by [jur] » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:09 am

You mean from a Simpler in Slice mode to a drum rack?
Ableton Forum Moderator

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:45 pm

m
[jur] wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:09 am
You mean from a Simpler in Slice mode to a drum rack?
I think what he means is a way to create the equivalent in Midi as we can do for Audio.

I have argued in the NI Maschine forums that it should be possible to apply the same
techniques to Midi as we currently have for Audio.

In this example, you would have the equivalent midi notes, not just notes/sounds, but Midi,
sliced so it could be played the same way you can play samples.

Imagine a function that converts a drum rack to a midi rack, which then allows you to play
those patterns into a midi track. ;0)

This would be useful where you weren't just slicing drum/percussive sounds, but instrumental
tracks. The same way we can slice a track by tapping a pad, we should in theory be able to
slice a midi track to a rack.

As for the rest, reversing/warping, etc all those functions should be accessible to Midi

djenzyme

Post by djenzyme » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:21 am

Yes, exactly that.

In Live, there’s the option to ‘slice to new midi track’. It creates the correctly micro timed midi to be able to play back your slices exactly as the original sample.

It’s a pretty basic feature, I’m really surprised I can’t find it anywhere on Push3. Kind of makes Push more difficult for breakbeat driven music.

Having said that, I’m hoping I’m just missing something and it actually can be done!

Edit: unfortunately it really does look like it can’t be done without using the desktop software