Clip play until end before changing scene

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ampism

Clip play until end before changing scene

Post by ampism » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:54 pm

Hi all,

I have tried to figure this out in the past but failed. Here's another attempt:

I want to be able to change scenes, but have every clip play UNTIL THE END of the clip.
I am not making beats. I am not making beats. I am not making beats
I am making ,let's call it, for argument's sake "experimental sound collage"

Currently, when I trigger a new scene, all clips in that scene will launch at the next beat of the bar.

What I want is for every clip that is playing to play until it end, and then launch the clip in the next selected scene. Simple.

So let's say I have 4 clips. Clip 1 is 2 seconds long, clip 2 is 2.6 seconds long, clip 3 is 11.3 seconds long, and clip 4 is 51 seconds long.

To clarify: this would entail some clips from the next scene playing already, while the longer clips from the current scene still played out. So effectively, 2 scenes would be playing at the same time. This is why I am not sure that what I want is actually feasible....

Basically I want a smooth transition and for the clips to not just end suddenly.

Does this make sense?

Is it possible?

Thanks!

S4racen

Re: Clip play until end before changing scene

Post by S4racen » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:55 pm

Scene Follow actions based on the longest clip, Live 11 only.

otherwise it's down to your own timing.

Cheers
D

ampism

Post by ampism » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:10 pm

Hey D,

Thanks for replying.

Would the scenario (no pun intended) you've suggested not mean that the shorter clips would end, and then wait until the longest clip ended until the next scene commenced?
I have looked into Follow Actions, and they seem to work on the basis that the user will want everything to be synced up. Understandable I guess, since Ableton assume that most of their users will want everything to be nicely syncopated and stick to "the grid".
I want the opposite of that; for different length clips to overlap ....

I'm thinking that what I want to do just isn't possible, which is a huge shame, because it would be a total game-changer for me, to have 150 or 200 short audio samples all scattered around session view and to be able to trigger a scene and create an on-the-fly collage...

Ah well.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:48 am

If they are not looping then simply removing stop buttons would work.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ampism

Post by ampism » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Thanks @chapelier fou,

However, I do want them to loop.

Some folks on the lines forum have been offering helpful suggestions...still not sure if what I want to do is actually possible...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:52 pm

This is where the newish Global Follow Action button is useless to me : it doesn’t trigger the follow actions, but instead you have to relaunch the clips. If it would actually engage the follow actions, it would be awesome.

There is always the M4L way.
But to make a device that would allow this behavior, you would need to define your needs more precisely. At first, how would you define the “end” of a looping clip ? Next time it would reach the loop point ?
Would it cut abruptly ? Does the timing need to be super accurate? Do you apply the same rules for every clip in the set, or is it clip specific or track specific ?
These kind of questions.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

weepwow

Post by weepwow » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pm

I am having this same problem/question in Live 12, In older versions there was no problem waiting till the current scene was complete (it was a default setting) the 'next' scene-I want to launch arrow was blinking and properly started after the previous clip was completed... but now all the Scenes/arrows I hit are starting immediately.. I dont want that, I want them to start after the previous Scene is complete. I can't find help anywhere on this, not even this forum, and the Global Follow Action Box doesn't offer this option???

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:49 pm

Think your mistaken as when you launch a scene they've always waited until the next measure defined by the global or clip launch quantisation and then launched regardless of what is playing in each track previously.

This behaviour has been since Live 5 or before to my knowledge.

Cheers
D