Auto Pan update idea

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Tsachi777

Auto Pan update idea

Post by Tsachi777 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:11 am

Very low on the importance scale, but I think it's a tiny bit of an oversight that Auto Pan doesn't let you invert only one side of its LFO. I'm thinking specifically for Saw shape, and for example, the intended effect would be for a sound to pan from left to right and then immediately left to right again.
Currently, when invert is toggled using the saw waveform, both left and right sides of the LFO switch to ramp, which does not achieve the previously mentioned effect.
You currently have to do a workaround by either using multiple devices or automation. One method is to create a device rack and have two chains hard panned opposite. In each chain an Auto Pan is set to Saw with zero degree phase, and one of the Auto Pans is set to invert. Another method would be to use a M4L LFO set to Saw and map it to the pan control on a Utility. Finally, clip automating a pan control will also do the trick, but of course a clip would have to be playing for this to work.

While these workarounds aren't very hard to do, they are still workarounds that require additional problem solving, devices, and steps. It makes so much sense to just have the invert button on Auto Pan be split in two. Obviously this idea is small potatoes compared to the other awesome updates Live 12 has in store for us, but it just bugs me and has bugged me for some time, since Live 7.