Rogue Amoeba SoundSource & Audio Hijack causing mysterious feedback/noise in Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mokus

Rogue Amoeba SoundSource & Audio Hijack causing mysterious feedback/noise in Ableton

Post by mokus » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:09 am

Hi. This is a continuation of this thread, where I sort of figured out a key detail in response to my own question, but still haven't fully solved the issue: viewtopic.php?p=1821629#p1821629

Is anyone having an issue with Rogue Amoeba products -- specifically SoundSource and Audio Hijack -- causing some sort of feedback/noise in Ableton?

- Ableton 11.3.21
- UA Apollo Twin X interface
- No plugins in Ableton are active or even loaded.
- UA Console inputs (also no plugins) show zero noise, but the output does (this is Ableton's output)
- Happens with no external gear connected at all. All I need to do is be monitoring in Ableton and the feedback starts very low and gradually gets bigger, then plateaus at a very audible level, but not completely blown out like when dealing with an infinite feedback loop.
- When recording an external signal the feedback is even worse, and sound similar to monitor doubling
- As soon as I start playing audio in Ableton, the feedback level resets itself, first completely disappearing, but then gradually returning, as long as all audio playback is silent.
- If I exit all Rogue Amoeba applications (e.g. Audio Hijack and SoundSource), the issue goes away completely, so they are obviously part or all of the cause, since UA Console and Ableton work fine without them open.
- have tried power cycling the PC, the applications, audio interface, etc etc etc

Also maybe of note is this thread about another odd bug/issue caused by Rogue Amoeba applications: viewtopic.php?t=246859

I really really like using SoundSource so my question is, does anyone know of a fix for this? Or is anyone else experiencing this issue?

If not, could anyone suggest an alternative to SoundSource (and also Audio Hijack, which I feel has a HUGE overlap with Ableton users)?

I really love being able to load several audio plugins into SoundSource (e.g. headphone EQ + CanOpener Studio for mixing), as it greatly reduces the chances of accidentally bouncing a track with the plugins left activated during output (which happens very often with me :)) Or even just throwing Pro-Q3 onto a track I'm playing in any non-Ableton audio app to adjust the EQ. Also, being able to route specific applications' audio to different outputs, adjust the volume of different applications (including boosting very quiet ones, like Rekordbox), are all really helpful.

And apologies if I broke some sort of rule with reposting, but I felt the alternate subject line and concise explanation would have a much better chance of reaching the right people. Thanks all