Live 12 won't launch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
david.barker

Re: Live 12 won't launch

Post by david.barker » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:51 am

mourad wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:30 am
Let´s hope that they will listen and fix this problem, otherwise it will be the end of the road for many many users with ableton (including myself).
I find it crazy that all DAWs on the market work properly and the one in the center of my production system won´t. I have reason 12, wavelab pro 12, traktion, mpc 2 and cubase and they all work perfectly.
Maybe time to try bitwig?
Hello
Im using course Ableton Live 11 no problems at all, also using using Studio One 6 Pro version on my older PC ,again no issues and also got FL Studio 21 no issues

.Hope there is a hot fix or something pretty soon.Like everyone here, I'm a hobbyist and I cant afford a new computer ,just to run Ableton Live 12.
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

Gral

Post by Gral » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:05 am

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:33 pm
On Windows you need to be using a CPU that is a 5th gen Core i5 or higher now, this is new from Live 11:

Windows 10 (version 22H2) or Windows 11 (version 22H2 or higher)
5th generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor or AMD Ryzen processor (CPU supports AVX2 instruction set)
Hmm strange, the datasheet of my CPU says it's the 4th generation and it works nevertheless. It has already the AVX2 instruction set.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz - Product Collection 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors

Shonx

Post by Shonx » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 am

Got a compatible i7-7700 which should run AVX2, worked fine after installation yesterday, today won't launch.

Guessing there might be an additional issue...

Shonx

Post by Shonx » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:41 am

Restarted and appears to work OK now, may have been attempting to find a defunct template set.

CplMulder

Post by CplMulder » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 am

This is a ridiculous decision by the Ableton developers to use AVX2, it comes down to pure laziness to optimise the code that could easily be written without using the extended instruction set (most of the other competition and plugin developers manage just fine) - I have been developing software for 35 years and know that it is a bad idea to suddenly use a new requirement alienating a large percentage of your existing user base - well done Ableton

Upgrading is not as easy as a new CPU, compatible motherboards, memory upgrades, power supply requirements and loads else need to be considered... my complete home studio is build around my PC so simply upgrading to this new requirement of theirs is no feasible

Well I have contacted their support and requested a refund - make sure you do this within 14 days if you decide to do the same.

Maybe it is time to start looking around at alternatives like Bitwig... Ableton you need to do better and have a serious word with whoever is making your technical decisions !!!

cqma

Post by cqma » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 am

Same here (i7 3rd generation).

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:37 pm

What is this AVX2 improving, by the way? Live's interface dates back its v1 visually (for the best, actually). Can't see how modern machines should need any extra props with gfx specifically. Looks like a questionable, limiting design choice.
Next comes usb3.3 only ;)

Strangely, some user on steam community forum insisted the AVX2 is a coprocessor that improves a type of operations that otherwise require more cycles (my interpretation), meaning newer machines would get the edge but without older ones being unable to process.

Here's what that bloke wrote:
"Nothing requires AVX2, it is a CPU instruction set that improves floating point performance, if you remove it, performance gets worse."
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1659420/ ... 248/?ctp=3

Can this be clarified?

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:38 pm

baseinstinct wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:37 pm
What is this AVX2 improving, by the way? Live's interface dates back its v1 visually (for the best, actually). Can't see how modern machines should need any extra props with gfx specifically. Looks like a questionable, limiting design choice.
Next comes usb3.3 only ;)

Strangely, some user on steam community forum insisted the AVX2 is a coprocessor that improves a type of operations that otherwise require more cycles (my interpretation), meaning newer machines would get the edge but without older ones being unable to process.

Here's what that bloke wrote:
"Nothing requires AVX2, it is a CPU instruction set that improves floating point performance, if you remove it, performance gets worse."
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1659420/ ... 248/?ctp=3

Can this be clarified?
Look here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... plications.

BTW: Serato requires AVX:
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/art ... VX-support

Adobe SW will require AVX 2 as well:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/mul ... -apps.html

Post by 102455 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:02 pm

Live 12 running fine here since I got access to the beta. I'm surprised to see the requirements listed as 22H2 or higher......as I'm running 21H2.

I've had Windows 11 since it was available to Insiders, before Microsoft tightened the hardware requirements - which means that it won't accept 22H2 and above.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:57 pm

davemoore wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:42 pm
Same problem. Not even an error message. Just, nothing. 11 runs fine. Having trouble figuring out exactly what processors support AVX2, as apparently not all i5 5th gen and up will support it. Extremely disappointed with Ableton. Seems like a massive oversight, at best. At worst... well, I won't go there just yet.

First person to come up with a list of processors that will run 12 will be a hero. Sure would be nice if that person was Ableton.
To check if your processor supports Intel AVX2, you can use the following method:

Download CPU-Z (https://www.cpuid.com) and install it on your computer.
Once installed, open the program and select the CPU tab at the top.
In the 'Instructions' field in the middle of the page, you can see whether AVX2 is supported.

Eanna

Post by Eanna » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm

At the end of the day, there should be zero code in the Ableton sourcebase that directly depends on AVX2 instruction set.
It's a flag you pass to the compiler, whether to bind to those lowest-level instructions or not.
Yes there would then be two builds of Ableton Live 12, for those of us with AVX and another for AVX2 CPUs. Yes, that would involve some logistics to manage. And yes there's a minor performance hit with AVX only... But on a CPU that's 11 years old (like mine), I am not going to notice. Not as much as I notice that Live 12 installs successfully but silently crashes out when I launch it!

I've raised a support ticket, asked if they would do a build with AVX extensions only, otherwise to offer for a refund.
I was refunded... So I guess that means that, for now at least, they are not going to support us guys.

This has been upsetting! I have been looking forward to the Live 12 release since its announcement. I couldn't wait to dig into the Midi tools! And the other bits. A Live release is quite a significant event! As it has been in my life for the last 15 years.
I was looking at computer replacements last night, in sheer depression at the prospect - cash outlay (there's a good reason why I'm on an 11 year old machine) - and the time it takes to set up the system the way I've honed this one.
But this morning, I realised that I'm not looking at these computers because my laptop is borked! Live 11 still works, all my plugins work, all my Ableton sets are intact. Just can't run Live 12. Boooo to Ableton! But I move on. Stick to the M4L midi devices I've been using instead of the new Live 12 Midi features I guess..

Whizzercone

Post by Whizzercone » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 pm

Eanna wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm
I've raised a support ticket, asked if they would do a build with AVX extensions only, otherwise to offer for a refund.
I was refunded... So I guess that means that, for now at least, they are not going to support us guys.
Doesn't get much more direct than that. 8(

Looks like I will be able to upgrade my machine to a i9 for about $500. That's a grand after Live 12. Not exactly happy about it.

Primalfoo

Post by Primalfoo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:40 pm

Whizzercone wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 pm
Looks like I will be able to upgrade my machine to a i9 for about $500. That's a grand after Live 12. Not exactly happy about it.
I did the math last night and for me it would take about $1k to upgrade my system, and that is if I could get my fireface 800 to work on windows 11 with a pcie card, otherwise it would be more like $3k.

notanotherusername

Post by notanotherusername » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:48 pm

Eanna wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm

This has been upsetting! I have been looking forward to the Live 12 release since its announcement.
I'm feel the same way, I did the black friday pre-order (when requirements didn't mention AVX2), and really wish I could make use of Live 12 Suite. Since the new serial number was never registered because I couldn't get it running, I opened a support ticket asking for a refund yesterday. I hope that happens soon, because the disappointment is quickly burning through my goodwill for ableton.
Last edited by notanotherusername on Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whizzercone

Post by Whizzercone » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:48 pm

Primalfoo wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:40 pm
Whizzercone wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 pm
I did the math last night and for me it would take about $1k to upgrade my system, and that is if I could get my fireface 800 to work on windows 11 with a pcie card, otherwise it would be more like $3k.
I am fortunate to have a bunch of things I can move to the new machine, so I only need a CPU, MB and RAM.