Live 12 won't launch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Eanna

Re: Live 12 won't launch

Post by Eanna » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:45 am

Eanna wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm
Stick to the M4L midi devices I've been using instead of the new Live 12 Midi features I guess..
Only to quote myself, on mature reflection... Hot damn! It still smarts, like a sore finger... Just didn't expect it! #anticlimax

Korber

Post by Korber » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:40 pm

Live 12 won't launch: Windows 10, Intel Core I7-2600K, 32 GB Ram, SSD
Live 12 launches slowly, then hardly usable: Windows 10, Intel Core I5 same generation, 16GB Ram, SSD

If Core I7-2600K is no longer supported by Ableton. Good, then it's over with Ableton. There are no problems with Cubase 13!

cids

Post by cids » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:16 pm

Korber wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:40 pm
Live 12 launches slowly, then hardly usable: Windows 10, Intel Core I5 same generation, 16GB Ram, SSD

If Core I7-2600K is no longer supported by Ableton. Good, then it's over with Ableton. There are no problems with Cubase 13!
Intel Core I7-2600K does not support AVX2, this processor was introduced in 2011 and was supported until 2019 by Intel...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

ChocolateRicky

Post by ChocolateRicky » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm

This from Andertons Music, Surrey UK website today listing system requirements for Live 12:
Processor:
- Mac: Intel Core i5 or later, or Apple Silicon
- Windows: 5th Generation Intel Core i5 or AMD Multi-Core Processor.

No mention of AVX2

Gral

Post by Gral » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:45 pm

ChocolateRicky wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm
This from Andertons Music, Surrey UK website today listing system requirements for Live 12:
Processor:
- Mac: Intel Core i5 or later, or Apple Silicon
- Windows: 5th Generation Intel Core i5 or AMD Multi-Core Processor.

No mention of AVX2
But this must have been known some time before the release date, because I saw it in a YouTube video a few weeks ago. I remember that I immediately checked whether my processor has the flag. Thank goodness it has it.

Jeffdaddy

Post by Jeffdaddy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:21 pm

Korber wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:40 pm

I run the Latest Version of Davinci Resolve, Vegas 20 Pro, And Ableton live 11 all at the same time. Now I just can't run Live 12? I understand but it just seems ridiculous. I'm not going to complain from this point forward. I"m just going to continue to use 11 and I will start trying demos of other DAWs until I can afford another high end pc
The Beginning is near

CH7

Post by CH7 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:31 pm

Just to say im in the same boat. I7 3630m laptop.. {the highest upgrade for this socket type}

All my files are nicely packed on that laptop and now its useless?
The worst part of all this will be moving those files to a new system. All this just to accommodate a compiler flag.

I doubt Ableton will offer any assistance migrating Live to a new system either.. ;-/

Not surprisingly none of the reviewers championing Live 12 thought to warn us of this new requirement.
Last edited by CH7 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:49 pm

Yes, I think this is a very good point. None of the reviewers championing Live 12 mentioned anything about this major issue that would affect so many users. Ableton should have highlighted this at point of sale. This is so disappointing.

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:37 pm

It could just be that none of the reviewers had an old enough computer. I bought this PC in 2017 and it runs Live 12.

I guess it never came up during beta testing either.

carpfisher

Post by carpfisher » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 pm

I have just done a trawl of the archived Ableton.com webpages on the Internet Archive website. The Windows System Requirements are listed under the Shop page. At no point during the pre-order period was the AVX2 requirement mentioned. Even on the snapshot of March 5th, the release date, there was no mention of AVX2. It however had appeared on the March 7th page. So they basically sprung that requirement on everyone after the release date and after they'd taken your money? Come on Ableton, that's not fair play.

Gral

Post by Gral » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:15 am

carpfisher wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 pm
I have just done a trawl of the archived Ableton.com webpages on the Internet Archive website. The Windows System Requirements are listed under the Shop page. At no point during the pre-order period was the AVX2 requirement mentioned. Even on the snapshot of March 5th, the release date, there was no mention of AVX2. It however had appeared on the March 7th page. So they basically sprung that requirement on everyone after the release date and after they'd taken your money? Come on Ableton, that's not fair play.
The decision-makers were probably not even aware of the consequences of using the AVX2 flag. They had to rely on what the software developers told them. If it wasn't a decision made by the developers alone, without thinking about potential problems. It's also possible that just one developer decided to turn on the flag without telling anyone. I mean, the software code that AVX2 is used for is not written by the whole team, but most likely by one, maybe two people.

From this point of view, I can understand that the absolute necessity of the AVX2 flag for the operation of L12 was not mentioned anywhere before. The company certainly didn't want people to buy their software only to find out after installing it that it doesn't work at all. Every marketing person knows that once a reputation is ruined, it can take up to a whole generation to repair it.

I can imagine that some people at Ableton are going through a very bad time right now.

That's my opinion on the subject: Come on Ableton, it's not fair play.

rooted

Post by rooted » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:54 am

Hi! It hit me, too. My setup is running on a AMD FX8350. I know very well that it's not super new, but it's a capable 8 core CPU running @ 4000ghz and still has good benchmarks. So yeah, for sure there might be updates to do from time to time, but this is just a massive marketing fail.

Primalfoo

Post by Primalfoo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:16 am

It's almost impossible to believe that they did not know ahead of release that this would happen. It's much more likely that they had a pretty good estimate of how many customers would be impacted, since they have all the registrations, and still made the decision to go ahead with the minimum requirement of avx2. For whatever reason, right or wrong, they made that call, and that's their prerogative. The right thing to do would've been to clearly communicate the requirement upfront.

Now as to whether this was a wise decision, I don't know. They are smart people and they must have had a compelling reason to take advantage of avx2 at the expense of alienating a bunch of customers. But they are also smart enough to have figured out a way to not break backward compatibility.

Gral

Post by Gral » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:53 am

Primalfoo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:16 am
It's almost impossible to believe that they did not know ahead of release that this would happen. It's much more likely that they had a pretty good estimate of how many customers would be impacted, since they have all the registrations, and still made the decision to go ahead with the minimum requirement of avx2.
Yes, of course, that could also be the case. We will probably never know.

Whatever the case, it is definitely a disaster for those affected. The competition is certainly laughing their heads off.

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:51 am

I agree,its a huge embarrassment :oops: :oops:
Everyone including me is very angry and frustrated in the whole debarcle :evil:

.Now Im not technically minded ,but I dont understand why my older Windows PC works well with Ableton Live 11 suite , but not with version 12!!

As hobbyist, I can't afford a new PC,just so I can run Live 12,it just dont make financial sense.
When I purchased the upgrade there was no warning to say I needed , this AVX2 thing, in the specs.There was no compatibility test to do either!

I didn't need to conduct a trial of Live to see if it works,when I upgraded from version 10 to 11,It just worked from the off

There is nothing on the blog on Ableton's website to say to us loyal customers whats going on, or when if a fix happening.

I have requested a refund and will stick with Ableton Live 11 and my other DAW'S, they work well with my older PC.

I
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic