Custom Key Commands Not Working In Live 12

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flugenhiemen

Custom Key Commands Not Working In Live 12

Post by flugenhiemen » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:51 am

In Live 11 I used apple system settings to create an app keyboard shortcut for "Freeze Track" and "Flatten Track" in order to speed up my workflow.

The new addition of "Freeze and Flatten Track" is nice, but I still have to left click and pull up a menu to do so, which kinda ruins it for me.

I wanted to map it to a single combination keybind like I did in 11, but "Freeze Track", "Flatten Track", and also "Freeze and Flatten Track" arent working as custom keyboard shortcuts. So I can't even revert back to my original solution which would have been just fine.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Running on an M3 if that has anything to do with it, Sonoma 14.3.1
Last edited by flugenhiemen on Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rivanni

Re: Custom Key Commands Not Working In Live 12

Post by Rivanni » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:24 pm

How did you map the shortcuts for Live 11? Using the built-in Shortcut feature of macOS?

Did you bind the shortcuts to the correct app, so Live 11 as well as Live 12?

flugenhiemen

Post by flugenhiemen » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:44 pm

Same way I mapped them for 11 on my previous computer, the built in MacOS keyboard shortcut feature in system settings. I only have 12 on this computer so i added them to ableton 12 app.

Jayodie

Post by Jayodie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:36 am

Having the same issue here! I am using a Macbook air M1 with Sonoma. I just learned about the custom keyboard commands for mac because of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ApJuy ... owEndCandy

The frustrating thing is in the video they have no problem creating the shortcut (happens around 3:00).

If you or anyone else discover the solution I'd love to know! Or, even better, Ableton just gives it it's own well deserved shortcut.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:59 am

The name of the full command is

Freeze and Flatten Track

not just Freeze and Flatten.
Maybe that is where it goes wrong.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:06 pm

I've never had much luck with Apple's shortcut feature and Live. Don't know why. Could be me. Keyboard Maestro works quite well.

flugenhiemen

Post by flugenhiemen » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 am

Rivanni wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:59 am

Freeze and Flatten Track

Already tried that, as mentioned in the OP

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:31 am

flugenhiemen wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 am
Rivanni wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:59 am

Freeze and Flatten Track

Already tried that, as mentioned in the OP
I was replying to Jayodie.

inverseremix

Post by inverseremix » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

Similar here. I've used this feature with previous versions. But. no dice with Live 12. Running MacOS Ventura 13.4.

I'm specifically trying to create a shortcut for a submenu. View>Arrangement Track Controls>Return Tracks. Once I enter the shortcut in the MacOS settings, the keystrokes appear within Ableton, right next to the menu item. So there's some link/recognition there. But it doesn't do anything when press the keys.

Feels like a bummer, cuz mine is for a command that had a native shortcut in Live 11.

Have you found a resolution for yours?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:04 pm

inverseremix wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am
Similar here. I've used this feature with previous versions. But. no dice with Live 12. Running MacOS Ventura 13.4.

I'm specifically trying to create a shortcut for a submenu. View>Arrangement Track Controls>Return Tracks. Once I enter the shortcut in the MacOS settings, the keystrokes appear within Ableton, right next to the menu item. So there's some link/recognition there. But it doesn't do anything when press the keys.

Feels like a bummer, cuz mine is for a command that had a native shortcut in Live 11.

Have you found a resolution for yours?
This one will not work because there's 2 "Return Tracks" Menu entries that are called and spelled exactly the same.
Ableton Forum Moderator

lucasarens

Post by lucasarens » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm

But the menu entries for 'Return Tracks' are under separate secondary labels. IE one is under 'Mixer Controls' and the other is under 'Arrangement Track Controls.' There has to be some way to access this specific menu for a key command but I have yet to figure it out. This is an incredibly frustrating feature removal (alongside the track delay button being removed, as well)...

If anyone figures this out let me know!!!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 pm

lucasarens wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm
But the menu entries for 'Return Tracks' are under separate secondary labels. IE one is under 'Mixer Controls' and the other is under 'Arrangement Track Controls.' There has to be some way to access this specific menu for a key command but I have yet to figure it out. This is an incredibly frustrating feature removal (alongside the track delay button being removed, as well)...

If anyone figures this out let me know!!!
The show/hide return tracks shortcut is back in the current L12.0.5beta.
And the track delay button is still here, but in the bottom right corner menu.
Ableton Forum Moderator