Option for Alt Gr = Ctrl+Alt

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spookydirt

Option for Alt Gr = Ctrl+Alt

Post by spookydirt » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:46 pm

Please can we have the option for [Alt Gr] as alternative for [Ctrl Alt] reinstated. Having to press three keys now is mostly impossible with one hand, or at least very uncomfortable.

I understand some languages need [Alt Gr] for certain characters, but it would be nice to have the option back as it's affecting my workflow.

Unless it's there and I've missed it.
i5-7500 3.4GHz /16GB / Aphex207D / yellow lefty Danelectro / CZ-101 / E-Bow / Genius
Mink15 - Indie Lo-Fi Downtempo pop- Spookydirt - ambient space music -

Cypeace

Re: Option for Alt Gr = Ctrl+Alt

Post by Cypeace » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:56 pm

You should check Microsoft PowerToys

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/xp89d ... n-us&gl=us

It let's you remap keys (and combinations) on different (single) keys. I use it in conjunction with AutoHotkey to have Mac style shortcuts.

https://github.com/stevenilsen123/mac-k ... me-ov-file

spookydirt

Re: Option for Alt Gr = Ctrl+Alt

Post by spookydirt » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:56 pm

thanks - i tried that with [alt gr] shortcuts and it went really weird and Windows went a bit weird, too, unusable. I tried it with the single keys mapped to [ctrl]+[alt] and it works really well, up to a point. Keyboard shortcuts needs to be deactivated when not using Live or even when renaming tracks in live as weird things happen (for example you can't rename with [ctrl]+[r] if you've mapped [r] to [returns] and if what you type as a track name contains any of the mapped characters Live is apt to throw a wobbler)

It'd just be a lot easier for me if Ableton hadn't taken these [alt gr] shortcuts away in the first place, it's made a mess of my workflow. Maybe the option of using them?

edit: that was just using Powertoys, not with Autohotkeys. I'll need to either do a bit more homework, or give up, one or the other
i5-7500 3.4GHz /16GB / Aphex207D / yellow lefty Danelectro / CZ-101 / E-Bow / Genius
Mink15 - Indie Lo-Fi Downtempo pop- Spookydirt - ambient space music -