Windows - Uninstalling Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gral

Windows - Uninstalling Live 11

Post by Gral » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:06 am

Hello dear music lovers.

Since Live 12 is running without any problems, I plan to completely uninstall Live 11.

Live 11 was installed on my Windows C: partition. Since I am running slowly out of space there, I have installed L12 on another partition with a lot of free space. Everything is running fine.

My question now is what happens if I uninstall L11 with the Windows App Manager. Is this possible without any problems, or are any *.dll's removed, so that there are then problems with L12? What happens to all the plugins and packs? Live 12 took them over without any problems. Will they still work afterwards?

Or would it perhaps be better to simply delete the Live 11 installation directory on C: by hand, i.e. without using the Windows uninstall mechanism?

Incidentally, I use Windows 10, which is a bit of a sucker for some things.

cids

Re: Windows - Uninstalling Live 11

Post by cids » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:18 pm

Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Gral

Post by Gral » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:13 pm

@cids, thanks for the link.

This will help if you want to get rid of Ableton completly. But this isn't what I want. What I want is to get rid of one of the two Ableton installations I have on my computer.

What happens to the second Ableton instance when I uninstall the first one? When a shared dll or a registry entry is removed..........

It shouldn't happen. But there are other things which also shouldn't happen and yet they happen.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:00 pm

Gral wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:13 pm
@cids, thanks for the link.

This will help if you want to get rid of Ableton completly. But this isn't what I want. What I want is to get rid of one of the two Ableton installations I have on my computer.

What happens to the second Ableton instance when I uninstall the first one? When a shared dll or a registry entry is removed..........

It shouldn't happen. But there are other things which also shouldn't happen and yet they happen.
Uninstall Live 11 the correct way using Windows' app manager. Windows takes care of the DLLs etc nd won't delete anything used by other programs.
If, in the worst case, Live 12 won't run properly anymore, you can just reinstall it.
Uninstalling Live 11 won't affect your packs, user library, or other data.

You could clean up some leftovers by going to the AppData folders mentioned in the help article and deleting only the Live 11 items.

Gral

Post by Gral » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:28 pm

Thank you Rivanni.

It should be so. So I will do it this way.

DJSpaceP

Post by DJSpaceP » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:15 pm

Can confirm: I used the Windows app manager to uninstall both 11 and 12 beta and 12 continued to work just fine with no missing components.